Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really wanting to do long tube headers on my 2005 Mustang GT, but I didnt realize this means no cats on my car( as far as i know, please correct if im wrong). This is an issue seeing as it is my daily driver and im going to need to pass Texas state inspection in March. I have a C&L intake, Hurst short throw, SCT X3 tuner, and Pypes muffler deletes, and i would like to get some pacsetter long tubes and an matching x pipe, but as stated above inspection is the issue. I have heard that there is a way to trick the system, i'm not too sure how it works and i would like to find out if possible. Any other advice would be appreciated whether negative or positive.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
find a shaddy shop to pay off, since its a federal crime to run without cats, im assuming there is not many shops that would sign off on that, but you could also just put the stock stuff back on for inspections.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I just swap the pipes out for inspection.

·
Registered
533 Posts

·
Registered
9,986 Posts
you CAN get catted mid-pipes that work with long tube headers, I know Kooks has them among others, take a look on American Muscle for some quick and easy examples

but it still might not pass inspection because the cats won't get hot enough to really work behind the long tubes, I am not exactly sure about that aspect of it

·
Registered
240 Posts
In NC I failed visual inspection with a stock exhaust except for the Pypes muffler deletes so I had to get rid of them and put on Pypes Violators. The shop said the mufflers couldn't be straight pipe they had to "look like mufflers". If they put it on a lift and look it will probably fail. If they just hook it up there are ways to "trick" the computer. I have read on here that there is something you do with spark plug non foulers or something like that. Hopefully someone will chime in on that.
Good luck

·
Registered
100 Posts
If u want to run long tubes and xpipe no cats get some MIL elimminators they will turn off the cel making it run normal. They wire into O2 sensor on each side of the connector then find a place that you know someone and have inspected they usually don't raise up unless they dot know you or they have been caught passing cars they shouldn't be. Or option two get 95 or older where it don't matter.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
If u want to run long tubes and xpipe no cats get some MIL elimminators they will turn off the cel making it run normal. They wire into O2 sensor on each side of the connector then find a place that you know someone and have inspected they usually don't raise up unless they dot know you or they have been caught passing cars they shouldn't be. Or option two get 95 or older where it don't matter.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free
They haven't made MIL eliminators since 04. They sometimes work, but only on 05-06 cars. In 07 there were some changes done to the computer and the eliminators no longer work.

Best to re-tune with a tune that turns on the rear O2s.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input, and but i think im just going to go to a muffler shop and see what they would recomend, and if they will just pass me off if I work a deal out with them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Can always install an electronic exhaust bypass valve before the cats. Just make sure you have it closed before inspection. ;)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Can always install an electronic exhaust bypass valve before the cats. Just make sure you have it closed before inspection. ;)
There isn't room, unfortunately.

OP, most exhaust shops won't remove cats. They will only replace them with new ones. They face some pretty serious fines for it. Here in Arkansas there's no emissions laws, but a shop faces a $2,000 dollar fine for removing someone's cats.

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Would take a little re-piping but not impossible.
Not to start an argument or anything... but have you ever seen the underside of an 05+ mustang? The area around the cats is pretty crowded.. there's inches.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not to start an argument or anything... but have you ever seen the underside of an 05+ mustang? The area around the cats is pretty crowded.. there's inches.
All's good...I haven't seen the underside of an '05 so not sure how much room is there but I've seen it done on a 2001 Cobra that's why I made the suggestion. I've also seen mid-pipes with removable cats...they may work instead then.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have seen long tubes with cats. In New Jersey if the OBD II reports AOK and what looks like cats are in place and the gas cap doesn't leak one gets a two year pass. Or buy a new car and it doesn't have to be inspected for five years and put a B52 engine in it.

4 Jet Car Drag Race - YouTube

1 - 15 of 15 Posts