Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna do the breather thing and plug off the vacuum hose that goes from the PCV(back manifold).

What about the oil spout/pcv hose?? What is the purpose in that one?? Can you put a breather there too?

J

·
0 Posts
The oil spout PCV is where the fresh air is supposed to enter the crankcase - being sucked in by the PCV on the other side. This keeps the PCV system from creating a high vacuum in the crankcase, which is bad (it can suck in your seals and cause oil leaks). It routes back to the intake tube to make sure it's pulling in metered air. Otherwise you've basically created a vacuum leak if you remove that hose and keep the PCV intact.

You can put a small breather on that one, but it's not large enough to matter. What's better K&N makes a screw-on breather which replaces your oil cap. Then just put a rubber (vacuum-line) cap on the oil spout tube.

J

·
0 Posts
You're planning to remove the PCV line aren't you? If so you don't need an oil separator.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
You either put the breathers on or get rid of the pcv.

Or you can keep the pcv and add a separator and all is good.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
No one has said it so I will...There is no reason to remove the PCV system. It gains you NOTHING....so why do it?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't find a grommet that fits correctly.. All of them are loose. I went to dealer yesterday to get a grommet. Hope it seals it up!!

Not a hp thing really. Just don't like the setup.

So, ill cut the bottom of pcv(remove guts-hollow) and use it as a connect for the new breather tube on the rear of intake and also put a push in breather on the valve cover and just cap off the the two factory ports that recirculate it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I would suggest against removing it. There is a reason cars have them. Without one you'll build up moisture in your motor, your oil will break down faster, you'll vent nasty $hit in the air, and it will usually make your car stink.

·
Registered
640 Posts
or you can use the smog pump as a vacume pump and get some hp. i haven't done it yet cause i'm still looking for details on the modification to do so....

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
No one has said it so I will...There is no reason to remove the PCV system. It gains you NOTHING....so why do it?

Well maybe on a NA car..but on a supercharged or like my car thats turbo My PCV is gone..i have breathers on the valve covers and a breather were the PCV was...Before i elimated the PCV i would blow that out under high boost or blow Vac caps off...Now im running everything open,No more problems for me...:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Also nitrous will make some crankcase pressure :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
559 Posts
Well maybe on a NA car..but on a supercharged or like my car thats turbo My PCV is gone..i have breathers on the valve covers and a breather were the PCV was...Before i elimated the PCV i would blow that out under high boost or blow Vac caps off...Now im running everything open,No more problems for me...:bigthumbsup
Where do you find a breather for the PCV spot?? I'm having some nasty blow by at high RPM's as well...although my car has a ton of miles on it and is N/A. Not sure what to do about it.

J

·
0 Posts
Where do you find a breather for the PCV spot?? I'm having some nasty blow by at high RPM's as well...although my car has a ton of miles on it and is N/A. Not sure what to do about it.
I fabbed one up myself, not sure where you'd find one off the shelf. Mine consists of a gutted PCV valve (drilled out the bottom), a short length of hose, and a tiny little clamp-on breather I found at AutoZone. Shadetree engineering at its finest, though it works well, looks good, and I can always go back to pcv if I choose.

I don't think it breathes out of there much though (seeing how clean it is after two years), the airflow seems to prefer the K&N screw-on oil-filler-cap-replacement breather which gets dirtier.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I fabbed one up myself, not sure where you'd find one off the shelf. Mine consists of a gutted PCV valve (drilled out the bottom), a short length of hose, and a tiny little clamp-on breather I found at AutoZone. Shadetree engineering at its finest, though it works well, looks good, and I can always go back to pcv if I choose.

I don't think it breathes out of there much though (seeing how clean it is after two years), the airflow seems to prefer the K&N screw-on oil-filler-cap-replacement breather which gets dirtier.

Bingo thats what i did i cut my PCV out used a small breather from advance clamped it on..used a little RTV on the grommet to keep it all snug...Under boost no more popping my PCV and no oil coming out of my breathers...:bigthumbsup

1 - 14 of 14 Posts