Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife's new toy idles rough! I've never had or installed a cam in an engine so I don't know what one sounds like. I've done a tune up but it still idles rough. There have been so mods, I think, because there's "Powered By FORD" valve covers. The previous owner said he got the car from the orginal owner who was family. Tried reaching out to him but he hasn't returned my calls.
The Vert came from Ga. and the Cats were removed when a new exhaust was installed, which I have to put back to make it legal in NJ.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
There is a difference between idling rough and hearing cam overlap. What rpm does the car idle at?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Around 5-600 Second mark on the onboard tach. Has no problem when gas is applied. Not rough at higher rpm's, say 1500- 2000. Runs down the road nicely.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
If the valves will open, and the distributer turns, then chances are that there's a cam in there...:dunce:

·
Registered
326 Posts
meangreen92 said:
If the valves will open, and the distributer turns, then chances are that there's a cam in there...:dunce:
Good Observation. Ha Ha

·
Registered
122 Posts
what kind of rough are you talking about. rough like you can feel it in the steering wheel and seat, or rough like an irregular idle. with most cams in a 5.0 will really only sound like its running rough but not feel too rough. its a missing at idle but not at higher speeds then you might have a burned valve or sticking valves.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Need to qualify what "rough" means. Check this .wav sound of a performance cam and LUK if that's the rough idle you refer to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.