Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well lets start with the story... One day on a cold and snowy afternoon my son decides to split his head open, so after the ER visit and droping him off at home I head back to my home and run off the road and hit the curb destroying one of my cobra R's, then to top it off bent the axle on the passengers side, but my question is how do I figure out what rear end I have since it was already a swap previous to my ownership..only specs I have are as follows: 5lug, drum brakes, limited slip...any help on figuring this out would be great, as to how Im only wanting to replace the axle shaft...Thanks in advance

·
Registered
525 Posts
Pull one of the axles and find out if it is 28 spline or 31 spline and get the length. The rear diff is a 8.8" unless somebody put a 9" inch in it. The gear ratio will be stamped on the end of the pinion gear I believe, but that won't matter if you are just replacing the axle. Make sure your housing isn't bent. 8.8 rear end are all over and you can probably pick one up from a yard for 150$ if you need the housing.

Here's two crude pics of the housings, the 9" on the left and the 8.8" on the right. Notice the added material on the sides of the diff connecting the axle tube. Also the cover is rounder and bubbles out more.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.