Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well life has been kind of rough for me lately. My spine is pretty much shot seeing that I can barely walk at times with broken vertebrae and I am going to the surgeon next week and some other doctors. Along with progressing knee problems and past surgeries and maybe future ones, I kind of want to treat myself to something to make life fun again. (Pretty sad for a kid my age...:sosad: but cars are my nirvana, so...) I've got next to no money in my pocket, but if I set my mind towards something, I will get it eventually just by working my a$$ off and saving every penny I've got just to aquire it. Hey, that's how I got the car I've got now:laughlitt

I want to build a pretty radical car out of my 2002 Mustang GT Convertible. I know most people go with superchargers and such, but I think I actually want to go with the natural route for a change. It really sucks to look under the hoods of cars and not know what 75% of the stuff in there is. So...I want to clean it up and have an engine in the engine bay, not a computer that happens to make lovely noises.:sterb: I am going to put one mean motor in it.

Chassis: It's pretty much a given that the stock chassis won't be able to withstand this much power regularly. So new K-members are in mind along with 6 point roll cage. What else?
Power? What power? My plans are to somehow stuff a 427 small block in it. How...?
Getting that power to the ground! Manual! This is a must! This is going to be one fun car, and where's the fun in an auto? I know of many high-power-worthy auto trannies, but high-power-worthy manual ones seem to be pretty scarce.:?: But all of this is pointless if there isn't a beefy rear-end to back it all up...what would you suggest?

I'm a firm believer in that I can do what I want as long as I set my mind to it. This is obviously going to be a mutant car, and it won't be something happening very soon. I am just throwing the idea out there and would like to get a little bit of input from the great people that are a part of the BMC. These things are the "main" parts of this project in my opinion and there will be (obviously) many many more things needed with the project. I am sort of talking to myself and just writing the thought on paper in a sense, but I would appreciate some help along the way with everyone here.
Thanks guys and gals,
Tyler:cool:

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Tyler, i will try to answer 1 by 1 your questions to the best of my knowledge and preferences-

1. Chassis: i have a 4.6 with a 5.0 DSS stroker kit, and a race F1 Procharger, it makes shy of 700 FWHP and the stock chassis is doing fine. I have though strenghtened the frame with full length subframes and the rear axle hookup points with reinforcement plates. It hace race (RR) springs, all bushings are urethane and use aftermarket balljoints and control arms (front and rear). Also installed a 4 roll cage to stiffen up more and for "security" reasons. The car handles great and no part of the chassis has suffered.

2. Displacement....2 ways to get it
a) big block engine
b) stroker
My choice is #2, you can build a 427 using a tall deck 351 block from DART. has all the goodies of a 427 without the weight. Also you can fit any windsor component to it; heads,cams, rockers, etc, etc.
The stroker route is also less expensive, 427 parts are not cheap at all.

3. For serious power a Viper T56 or a Tremec TKO 600, i have the first one, its a blast to use , with evenly spaced gearing it is probably the best manual for the 1/4mile and im running a 4.10:1 gear ratio :)

4. Axle: keep the 8.8, add a gridle (TA cover), a decent trac-loc such as Auburn or Eaton, and 31 spline axles. That should do it. If you want radical then a 9", but trust me, the 8.8 can handle lots of abuse if prepared right.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Thank you greatly! I really had no idea these parts could withstand this type of power. I will go with some type of roll-cage for both the stability and the safety that will also work with my convertible top.

2. As for the engine, my plans are to go with one of the World Products' Man O'War; not sure just yet on which of their 427's to go with. You say DART...do you mean Mopar's Dart? Or is there a company called "DART"?

3. Thanks again for the info. I will definitely look into the two transmissions.

4. I definitely thought there would be more than just a simple girdle. I am still running the factory rear-end gears, but will put something in there with more punch and more safety.

Thanks yet again!:cool:

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
That's what I would do to save some cash. 427 parts pretty pricey.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rob, when you say "Viper T56", are you referring to the T56 that came out of the Dodge Vipers?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GTRaptor said:
Well I see me and you are thinking the exact same. I have been looking at the exact same company. I think I may have also changed my plans. Going with a 408 or 427 or anything like that may be a little non-practical for a car that is driven daily. I am leaning towards a 351 crate motor now. If I do this, I will already have fully forged internals, 385 horsies, one Hell of a block, etc...for a little over $6000 and I can always stroke/bore it to get more as I please (well you get the idea, not like I will change the cubes every month). For example, there is a guy that has a 351 block that he stroked to a 410 and has 500+ rwhp all naturally.:eyebulge: I think this may be more of the route to go?

But on the other side of that coin, Keith Craft offers a "408/410 econo crate motor" with 500 horsepower and 500 ft. lbs of torque for $5,695. The parts aren't made of the same quality as the 351 I mentioned above (nothing against the Keith Craft company, they make some very fine products along with full-race motors for $25,000+. This particular motor is just not made of the same parts).

Decisions decisions...:handball:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.