Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been reading into the 2.3 lima block with a turbo.
its pretty interesting, but how straight forward is it?
ive never messed with an overhead cam engine before. so how hard would it be to convert say a 2.3 out of a stock mustang, into a 2.3 t?

correct me if im wrong, but internally in the block the only diff, is forged pistons, and the holes tappd on the block for oil line, and return line for the turbo.

they have different heads, and of course a dif eec.

have any of u succesfully converted a stock 2.3 to a 2.3 t? how is it working out for u. ive always liked turbo 4 bangers, just never wanted to venture away from ford.

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
Running a 2.3 T in my 89. Been converted now 3 years I would say. Wife drives it as a daily driver. Only real problem I have had is local autoparts place that sell cheap cra-. Now my first motor I did blow. But I was running 20 psi on a engine that had previously had no waste gate control when I removed it from body. It ran for over a year tho.
Now to your subject. There is a thread at top of forums that has lot of info on the conversion. Now if using the 4plug engine head can be changed from heart shape to D-shape and turbo valves installed. And use all the original 2.3 block and accessories. BoPart is even using the 8plug head with turbo valve. I know there is some modification need but need to contact him. You can even run the dis system with turbo computer.
Far as the block. Drill for turbo drain, turbo forged pistons and You are done. It is usually cheaper to find a donar car. Piece mealing all the parts can get expensive unless wishing to use all new parts. You can even go megasquirt but that is another subject.
The a4ld automatic is a bad choice. Best is the t-5 or like me find the "rare" 2.3 c-4 bellhousing. Or stinger is making a 2.3 to 5.0 bellhousing adapter. Hope that answers a few questions. If need more answers. Just ask. Maurice

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
Notice you are in California. And must deal with emission controls etc. Evintho here lives in California and has a conversion. That part can best be answered by him. But I know he just passed emission a few weeks ago. So it can be done. Maurice

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks alot Maurice. that answered alot of questions, and thanks for being upfront about what happened to ur first engine. my local parts yard doesnt have a svo or a xr4ti they only have 2 or 3 mustangs there, out of say 250 cars, and im sure that there isnt any in the part yards near here dont. people like their mustangs in cali, and theyll rip apart any of them they find at the part yards.

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
Heck it was only a 150 dollar wrecked car with a turbo conversion I can't complain. As far as donar cars don't forget the Merkur and Turbocoupe Thunderbirds. Maurice

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
150 dollars wtf? i went a week or so ago to the junk yard here in visalia, a transmission from a 1984 trooper II was 180. i need to get to a cheaper junk yard.

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
I guess getting off topic but no else we are interferring with. So I will tell you the story of the 150 dollar 88 Mustang. I had been buying parts for my other project a 2.3 t in a 77MGB from a guy at a autoparts place [He is big into the 5.0]Well he bought a 88 with a turbocoupe conversion with t-5 for 300. Wiring was a mess. I went down and spent a day and solved it and he needed to order a boost control. He didn't and drove it. Later told me when he was in boost he was blowing radiator hose. [dah headgasket]. Well original owner bought it back said it was wiring. I told him I would buy the motor and computer for 100 when they got tired of it and could not fix.
Month later got word would sell entire car for 150 I agreed and he Delivered it. Guess what wife seen it first. I found out she always wanted a Mustang. Compression was 150, 150, 75, 75. Blown between 3and 4. Body on this one had frame in front bent. I bought the 89 body for 200. Minus motor and trans. Pull the turbo motor [new headgasket of course] and got a c-4.
Been improving it eversince. Also how it looked when first put it in. Pk-1 computer and small vam. I wired this one using the 86 turbocoupe wiring diagram. I at that didn't know a pinout chart was available. I just done it wire by wire comparing the 2 diagrams. Thanks for listens and me being long winded. Maurice
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w224/mgman75/100_4654_0001.jpg

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow, ur lucky, and its good u know what ur doing with that thing. i had an 87 hatch, but gave it to my dad cuz he needed something to drive to work.

i really want to build one of these turbo 2.3 and have it just in case i find myself a nice hatch again to put it in. or put it in something classic. ive read of people swaping them into their 60's mustangs like that gt140t.

my 351c is awesome, but sucks on gas. it'd be fun just to throw something different in the mix.

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
There is one guy here. Can do a search. Put the 2.3 in a 67 Mustang near as can remember year.
Me on off subject. Trying to put 3.2 SHO in 93 Vert. What a nightmare.
If got money start with stock 2.3 block rebuild, forged pistons, NA head modified. Check out BoPart what is need or have him do it. Build or buy turbo header. Choice of turbo, Garrett T3, T3/T4, or Diesel turbo. And Megasquirt or tune a stock computer. I will help all I can and more here will help also. Just ask questions and we will go from there. Maurice

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
k for sure, thanks maurice, uve been lots of help. now i just need to save money to build one. but first i gotta save and buy a new carb. the one on my c sucks.

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
You can bring me either 65 I will accept. Joking of course. Those are the years wife wants but all expensive rust buckets around here. Good luck Maurice

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.