Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this isn’t that actual pic of my car, I’ll post that tomorrow, and it was too dark and rainy today to take one of her.

She's a 2005 Torch Red Mustang GT Convertible.

Here is what happened, I let my GF drive the car, and it appears when she parked it she scrapped the passengers side lower bumper over a bit of the cement block that most spots have. The damage is to the lower portion of the bumper where the red circle is on the pic.

I’m not sure if just that lower part of the bumper can be removed and replaced, or if I have to replace the whole bumper. The scratches are pretty heavy in a few areas so odds are they can’t be sanded/polished/buffed out.

Also, can I install one of those aftermarket front spoilers to cover that scratched area, or do you have to replace the whole entire bumper to do that?

What is the best way to fix my poor cars boo boo?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Paint time

The only thing worse than gf damage is wife damage (did the same thing to my 02).

These bumpers are made of tough stuff (urethane), and I'd be surprised if it couldn't be sanded out and repainted - though a professional job at a shop will run you about $100 - $500 (depending on extent of damage and whether or not they remove and repaint the whole bumper). Can't tell the extent of the damage from your jpg, but if it's limited to the lower lip below the mold line, I'd be tempted to just have the shop sand, fill and spot paint that area. Good job would be indetectable and much the cheaper alternative.

If you were planning to add an aftermarket spoiler, now is the best time, of course - and it might indeed cover the damage - be sure to examine carefully the overlap of the new part when making your choice, if this is the case. Whatever aftermarket spoiler you pick, most of them will require painting, which will cost at least as much as the repair, etc, etc.

Face the fact that the gf or wife damage to our cars is the price we pay for having females in our lives. My advice would be to be kind and gentle (unless you're ready to change gf's anyway) - which will make her love you all the more.

Next time if could be you who makes the mistake. Be big about it.

tripleblack

·
Registered
17 Posts
how about using wetsand to smoothen the scratches.. and then maybe fillers.doesn't look that bad on your pic. if you're replacing your bumper you can check here: partstrain.com. adding spoiler's not bad too. :winks

G

·
I can't believe you let your girlfriend drive your car. If I were you I'd try to get a front spoiler/bumper cover. There's going to be so many of those mustangs on the road it'll be nice to have a little personalization.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.