Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I get involved in car racing? I'm 16 from Fair Oaks, California and own a '66 Mustang. I go to school during the day but I usually have time to do things nights and weekends. I know some might think I should be learning to drive first before I learn to drift but I have always had a passion for driving and want to get involved competitively.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Drift or road race or drag race?

For road racing, I's recommend a drivers school like I did at Skip Barber at Laguna Seca. :eyepoppin Depending on the course you decide on, you could either learn how to handle a viper on an autocross:happyhapp , or even get to drive in some open wheel Formula cars around the 2.2 mi circuit - those cars will just blow your mind :eyebulge: when it comes to grip and cornering. Both are a blast and very instructive.

Regardless, you'll learn driving technique the more time you spend around instructors, who are usually available at events.

Then start eating breathing and sleeping, oversteer, understeer, trail braking, rev matching/heel-toe, slow in/fast out....see the apex in every turn.

Even pros spend time with instructors. Pros never stop learning.

After some formal instruction, hook up with a group who run open track days, and get some more seat time and (free) instructor time.

At Laguna Seca last weekend with the Shelby Club and green Flag driving, man, what a time I had....tough getting back to work after that!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha that sounds like a blast. It's around a grand and I don't have a job, hopefully my mom or dad could help me out. I want to try both drifting and road racing in streetable cars. I've heard about those performance driving schools and I really want to go to one. I just don't know how to become a part of the road racing/drifting scene in my area.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What's your area?

And schools should start at around $600 for a half day if cash is tight.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in Fair Oaks, CA which is a suburb of Sacramento. About 30 minutes away from Sacramento. You have any websites I could visit to check this stuff out?

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a ton. I'll check this stuff out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.