Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 2008 GT right now, I'm going to be ordering a 2012 sometime soon.

I was wondering how people handle the trade in when they place an order so far in advance of actually receiving the car...

1. How do you make sure the dealer doesn't screw you on the trade in price - since you're now kind of "locked" to the dealer that ordered that car for you?

2. I assume they do the appraisal of the trade in close to the actual delivery date - not when you order - since they don't know what you might do to that car over the next couple of months.

I know when I traded in my previous car for my 2008, they tried to drop it down $1000 on trade in price, but then I had the power of being able to say "I want that $1000, or I go to another dealership". When I'm ordering, I don't see how I have that power.

Thanks for any info people have.

Dan.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've went thru this same issue. Still am, to tell you the truth. I've been told that any quote will be invalid after the wait to get the order. Of course, you're not obligated to trade your car in. You can always go to Carmax or something like that. I'm trying to sell on AutoTrader with NO LUCK. I'm just waiting to sell my wife's car to get a '12. At this rate though, I'll probably have to wait for a damn '14. :mesad:

·
Registered
472 Posts
What ever you do "GET IT IN WRITING" have the dealer representative sign and you sign,make sure its dated. Get a copy of all paperwork. Then you have a legal,binding contract that both parties have to agree on to make any changes. ie Cancel order, add extras,delete items, etc.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Here is what I did when i traded my 2009 on my 2011.

I was in the fortunate position to be able to let them have the car up front. I didn't want to take a chance on it getting scratch/dented/wrecked/stolen in the 8 weeks I was waiting for my 2011. I can see the dealer using any excuse possible for lowering the offer once you are on the hook. Plus, my 09 only had 2800 miles on her and was pristine. So, any additional miles would have definitely taken away from the offer. For me, the only way to secure the trade in price was to sign the deal and walk away while I waited for my new car.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
jchristena, just out of curiousity, what made you sell your Beamers for your 09 Mustang GT in the first place?

·
Registered
997 Posts
It all depends on how the dealership operates. When I was looking to order my '11 the first dealer (bigger) was going to give me x-amount of dollars if I turned the car in when I ordered or x-amount minus depreciation if I turned it in at delivery of the '11. The second dealer (small, and my local one) gave me my trade-in value (almost $5,000 more than the first dealer) when I ordered and allowed me to run the car until the '11 came in w/o the trade-in value decreasing.

In regards to being tied to the dealer you ordered from, still depends on how they operate. I don't know how the first dealer I went to operates in this regard, as the trade-in value they gave me for my car was enough for me to go elsewhere and not look back. However ordering from my local dealer I didn't have to sign anything until the '11 came in and we had went over and verified all the numbers again. So I could have walked away if they tried to reduce the original trade-in value that they gave me.

What I will say as a disclaimer is I think my experience was a pretty unique one due to the setting. My local dealer is a very small dealer in a very small town. It's family-owned (the same family since it opened in the 1910s-1920s, not sure of the exact date) and the two brothers that own it currently, serve as the primary salesmen. I've known the one brother for almost 10 years and consider him a friend, and that history (even though this was the first vehicle that I've purchased from this dealer) and trust is what made the experience so positive. In regards to the trade-in, he gave me a great number and knew that he could guarantee it while letting me continue to run the car b/c he knew that I wasn't going to abuse it. For the same reason, I wasn't worried at all that he would try to lowball the trade-in value when the '11 came in. In regards to the commitment-free order of the car, he knew that unless something catastrophic happened, I'd be there with bells on to take delivery, and I intended to do just that. Unfortunatly, most people ordering a car won't have as positive experience as this was for me, even though it was the way it should be for everybody.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Why do you want to trade in a car in the first place? You wont get a good price for it anyway.

I had a 2003 Corolla to trade in. The dealer's first offer was $3000. I got it up to $4500 but that was it. So I sold it myself in 2 days for $6500. Dealers know you dont really want to deal with selling your old car yourself and take advantage of that.

My little effort paid for my bama tunes, Roush grille, CS front fascia, and GT500 mufflers. Sweet!

To digress, I was actually blown away people were willing to pay that much for a nearly 8 year old corolla. Everybody that looked at the car was willing to offer 6500. It did have low miles (58k) and looked very good overall, but still ...

·
Registered
570 Posts
Why do you want to trade in a car in the first place? You wont get a good price for it anyway.

I had a 2003 Corolla to trade in. The dealer's first offer was $3000. I got it up to $4500 but that was it. So I sold it myself in 2 days for $6500. Dealers know you dont really want to deal with selling your old car yourself and take advantage of that.
It depends. Dealers will give better offers on late model cars. When you have a trade-in, you only pay taxes on the difference between the the value of the trade and the purchase price of the new car. If you have a high value trade, the tax savings can be pretty good. You also don't have to deal with low ballers, joy riders, and people wanting to trade thier heap for your car.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I didn't do a trade in when I ordered my Mustang (kept my truck) but I would take it to Auto-Trader and get a quote. The will give you a fair price that is good for 30 days, the other option would be sell it yourself. I am not big on a trade-in because the dealers usually makes out best in that deal.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I worked the trade in up on the current car (an '09) at the time I ordered the one on the way. In comparison the deal on the new car is fairly straightforward, the trade in the part where you've really got to keep your eye on the ball. If the trade-in offer is not to your liking then you go someplace else. I'd have never considered ordering a car without knowing what to expect to get for the current car. I am like someone else mentioned holding my breath the entire time that nothing happens to my car in the meantime. Stress!

Like DarkHorse just mentioned above paying tax on the difference instead of on the entire amount of the new car can add up. Factoring that in alone I'd need to get quite a bit more for my car to make it worth the trouble.

Another factor is security, putting your car up for sale on one of those trader sites sometimes gets you the wrong type of attention. A few years ago I had a car stolen that way, never to be recovered.

·
Registered
360 Posts
jchristena, just out of curiousity, what made you sell your Beamers for your 09 Mustang GT in the first place?
I don't really have a good answer for that. Technically, I traded my Dinan(software at least) 335i for the Tahoe which was stupid in hindsight. I traded the Tahoe for my 09GT just because I missed having a Mustang. I had intended on keeping the GT for a while until news of the 5.0 came out...then I caved...LOL.

I obviously don't make the best decisions when it comes to cars. The Beamers were AWESOME though. The Mustang may handle just as good as my M3 did, or even better...but there is just no comparison to the steering feel and feedback that BMWs give. I miss those cars a lot, just can't justify having both :).

·
Super Moderator
2,337 Posts
Hi,
I have a 2008 GT right now, I'm going to be ordering a 2012 sometime soon.

I was wondering how people handle the trade in when they place an order so far in advance of actually receiving the car...

1. How do you make sure the dealer doesn't screw you on the trade in price - since you're now kind of "locked" to the dealer that ordered that car for you?

2. I assume they do the appraisal of the trade in close to the actual delivery date - not when you order - since they don't know what you might do to that car over the next couple of months.

I know when I traded in my previous car for my 2008, they tried to drop it down $1000 on trade in price, but then I had the power of being able to say "I want that $1000, or I go to another dealership". When I'm ordering, I don't see how I have that power.

Thanks for any info people have.

Dan.
I am 65 years old and have bought and traded many a car,there is just one word you must learn and learn it well, the word is(BOHICA) it stands for(BEND OVER HEAR IT COMES AGAIN) and don"t forget to bring your own LUBE. That is why they call them the stealerships.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Private sale it.

It’s not that hard.

First go to craigslist, autotrader, ebay, kbb, and whatever else and get a feel for the private party value of the car

Second, get the best price possible the dealer will offer for your 2008.

Third, if its not within a reasonable number of the private sale market value, walk away from said offer and pay the extra $75 for a new license plate and call your insurance to insure both cars. List the car at a below-average or average price and sell it quickly knowing that you’re still saving yourself lots of money.

It's probably impossible to lose by selling the car yourself.

I spent 3 months selling my old fun car for a 'high' market value before ordering my Mustang and am very glad I did it. The dealership would have owned me so hard on trade in.

·
Registered
360 Posts
As others have said, it all depends on the dealer. Mine was fantastic. I traded a 2010 F150. He offered me very good money for the truck, and we agreed no more than a $500 depreciation when my order came in. Ordered late Sept, car came in mid Nov. When it finally arrived, they did not even mention the depreciation. Top notch dealership (not stealership).

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
You can be certain your 2008 will keep depreciating before you take delivery - what you want to do is control and limit it! I think 740Weapon has the right idea to save the most money. But as the saying goes, it takes money to make money.

If you can't sell before (cause its your only transport) OR need to have the money from the 08 to make the trade then, I suggest you get them to appraise your car in writing (with any defects documented) and then agree on a mileage limit before the price will change. A friend did this when he ordered his F250 and it worked out okay. If you have clear expectations (and document them) at the onset of your business deal you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
702 Posts
You can be certain your 2008 will keep depreciating before you take delivery - what you want to do is control and limit it! I think 740Weapon has the right idea to save the most money. But as the saying goes, it takes money to make money.
As long as dan (the OP) does the math, he should be able to determine if he should trade or not.

Even if he can't buy the car outright, he may be able to take a larger loan for the same term he wanted with a trade in and pay off as much as he can once he sells his 2008. So there might be 2-3 months of a very high car payment, followed by an incredibly high check to the loan, followed by the payments he wanted all along.

IDK if private sale is worth it in every situation, but its important to at least do the math.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.