Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there stamping or tags on the tranny, I have a 86 5.0l, but when I pulled the speedo gear it was 17 tooth white. I dont belive thats from a t5 so i'm wondering what do I have?

·
Registered
617 Posts
The white gear is your driven gear.That's the one on the end of the speedo cable.The actual drive gear is inside the trans.Most 83-89 t-5's use a 7 tooth drive gear.And all 86's use a 7 tooth gear.The white gear can be changed to compensate for tire and wheel size changes.That way your speedo is accurate.

your trans.

year-86
source-factory
model-mustang
engine-5.0
max torque-265(lb/ft)

Gear ratios

1st-3.35
2nd-1.93
3rd-1.29
4th-1.00
5th-0.68
r-3.15
speedo drive-7
input length-7.18
pilot diameter-0.668

Everything you need too i.d. your trans should be listed here.:)

·
Registered
617 Posts
The white gear is your driven gear.That's the one on the end of the speedo cable.The actual drive gear is inside the trans.Most 83-89 t-5's use a 7 tooth drive gear.And all 86's use a 7 tooth gear.The white gear can be changed to compensate for tire and wheel size changes.That way your speedo is accurate.

your trans.

year-86
source-factory
model-mustang
engine-5.0
max torque-265(lb/ft)

Gear ratios

1st-3.35
2nd-1.93
3rd-1.29
4th-1.00
5th-0.68
r-3.15
speedo drive-7
input length-7.18
pilot diameter-0.668

The reason I gave all this info is sometimes the trans has been repaired and the tags are often missing.If you do have a tag now you know what you have.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
O.K so mines a 17 spline white, thats a long way from 7. I had to go with a 18 for my 3:73. So your saying this is not a T5?

your trans.

year-86
source-factory
model-mustang
engine-5.0
max torque-265(lb/ft)

Gear ratios

1st-3.35
2nd-1.93
3rd-1.29
4th-1.00
5th-0.68
r-3.15
speedo drive-7
input length-7.18
pilot diameter-0.668

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I look at the speedo gear chart it looks like a SROD. But is that what it is or/and will the same clutch fit in both?

·
Registered
617 Posts
t-5. 1-1/16" 10 spline input
28 spline output.

I think you have a t-5 that white gear can be changed to any color .All changing the gear does is change your speedo reading.It's the gear in the tail shaft of the trans that counts.What I'm saying is ford did use a 17 tooth white gear for the t-5 in that year. Depending on your tire size it could be green,yellow white...etc.I have a t-5 out of my car that I can take some pics of later if you would like.:shiny:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats what I was wondering if it was possible to have a 17 spline white in a T5. Thanks alot! I wonder if it was a SROD would the clutchs be the same?

t-5. 1-1/16" 10 spline input
28 spline output.

I think you have a t-5 that white gear can be changed to any color .All changing the gear does is change your speedo reading.It's the gear in the tail shaft of the trans that counts.What I'm saying is ford did use a 17 tooth white gear for the t-5 in that year. Depending on your tire size it could be green,yellow white...etc.I have a t-5 out of my car that I can take some pics of later if you would like.:shiny:

·
Registered
617 Posts
The input diameters are the same for both the t5 and the srod.1 1/16".But I can't seem to find any info on the srod spline count.Without that I can't tell you if the clutches interchange.But the srod does have a longer input shaft(8 15/16") for the ford 289,302,351w.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.