Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my clutch just went on my mustang 5.0 1986 and i want to know how to install my king cobra clutch that i just got so if someone could please send me some info on how to install it that wuld b helpful

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
I think you are better of buying a service manual, but here is a small "HOW TO"

1. Unhook the battery
2. Place the car on jackstands
3. Place a jack under the transmission (use wood block to support it)
4. Remove the starter
5. Remove the driveshaft, this on the differential side, loosen the bolts and MARK with some visible paint the stock alignment.
6. Pull the driveshaft out the tranny input shaft
7. Remove the X pipe
8. Remove the trans mount and tranny x member
8.1: remove the clutch cable (tranny side)
9. Loosen the bellhousing bolts, start with the bottom bolts and work your way to the upper ones.
10. Giggle the trans out of the car. If the tranny is full you need to place a yoke on the inputshaft to avoid spilling all the tranny fluid...or...empty it.
11. Once the tranny is out remove the pressureplate and clutch
12. inspect the flywheel from cracks or "burned" discolored spots, oil stains, etc. This is a good time to change the rear oil seal, this is a common failure on 5.0s. If the flywheel doesnt look right, replace it.
13. Also inspect the TO bearing, there shold be NO PLAY in it, my advice is to replace it now with a NEW heavy duty unit.
14. Inspect the TO bearing retainer, the surface has to be even at all its length.

Now..install

1. You need an ALIGNMENT tool to mount the clutch and plate, this tool looks like the inputshaft, has tooth on it and are made of plastic..most clutch kits will include one. Use it to alignt the clutch and pressure plate. Torque to specs (flywheel, pressure plate and bellhousing.
2. apply a thin coat of grease to the bearing retainer
3. from here on it is a matter of reasembly.

Notes:
A second pair of hands will make it easier, expect this to be a 4-5 hour job
Use a TORQUE WRENCH...no shortcuts here, you dont want to break anything...or worse a flywheel chopping of your feet.

Corrections to this short writeup welcome :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.