Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
AOD I'm assuming, either have it in drive and floor it and shift to OD if you still have track left, start in 1, shift to second, hold it in 2nd and shift to third and OD. Though I've heard the second one can burn up something in your tranny, don't remember what. Its only 1:20am here.:sleeping:

·
Registered
111 Posts
First thing you need to do it install a shift kit so it'll give you a firm shift, next thing you need to do is get a high stall conveter so you can get a good launch from the line, next thing you need to do is throw out the AOD and get a C4 so it'll hold up to racing,LOL. But really, the first and second things would really help you be competive against someone running a manual trans.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Definitely a shift kit. When you install it go with the the most aggressive setting. It makes a world of difference and I highly recommend it even if a car never sees a track.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I guess your going to the track? You'll might want to see what works best for you. If you put it in first you force the trans to hold that gear for longer that if you had it in D or OD. You'll have to learn where that point is so you can shift into second at that point. Now you have to see how second winds out, so you can put it in D when that happens.

You also might want to launching at different rpm's. Just hold the brake whith your left while you build rpm's with you right.

·
Registered
413 Posts
You can put it in first and shift it your self at about 5800, but then when you shift it into second it will shift out of second at around 4500. I found out that after you shift into second you can pull it back down into low gear and it will hold second until you shift into drive. That way you can rev out to 5800 or so in second, instead of 4500. But you can also adjust the throttle valve linkage to make it shift at a higher RPM when you just have it in drive. But that will make it shift higher during regular driving, as well as WOT.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Actually with an AOD, you don't ever put it into OD. Keep it in D and let it shift itself, if you don't have a shift kit. The 1-3-1 shuffle will burn up the transmission if it's done on a consistent basis because it'll dump pressure when it's not supposed to, burning the bands.

There shouldn't ever be a reason to go to OD, it'll kill your time. A stock AOD will usually shift itself around 4800, if you hold it while doing the shuffle and go up to 5500 or higher and then shift, you'll actually go to third. Yes, you can miss a shift with an AOD. The reason is when you go too high in first, when you shift into second the transmission will already be at the shift point to go to third and it'll skip second. I know this, I've done it.

There's a few other tricks to the AOD.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Ill tell you what. The 5.0 Automatic can be great and tough is hell with a Shift Kit and Torque Converter! my buddys had this and we tore on it ALWAYS!!! never messed up like 5spds and i luved that dam kick from 1st to 2nd gear from the shift kit it was bad ass.

The way I thought him to race it was put it into 1st gear off the line and keep it their until about 5200RPM and then push the shifter up into 2nd gear. but later he found out if he just keeps it in D and punchs it all the way down the 1/4 miles track the computer would find the best shift point for it. so I would just keep it in D and when you floor it it will automaticlly find a good down shift gear.

if you wanna downshift just drop it into 2nd gear and then to 1st gear and when you step on it you will not have to wait for it to down shift again. so if you racing from like a 20mph roll keep it into 1st gear and as soon ass you punch it slam it back up into D and it will shift its self perfect.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Actually with an AOD, you don't ever put it into OD. Keep it in D and let it shift itself, if you don't have a shift kit. The 1-3-1 shuffle will burn up the transmission if it's done on a consistent basis because it'll dump pressure when it's not supposed to, burning the bands.

There shouldn't ever be a reason to go to OD, it'll kill your time. A stock AOD will usually shift itself around 4800, if you hold it while doing the shuffle and go up to 5500 or higher and then shift, you'll actually go to third. Yes, you can miss a shift with an AOD. The reason is when you go too high in first, when you shift into second the transmission will already be at the shift point to go to third and it'll skip second. I know this, I've done it.

There's a few other tricks to the AOD.

ya, I know what your talking about i hated that! thats why 1st and 2nd gear we would drive the gears on the shifter and after that we could just leave it in D.

·
Registered
704 Posts
You can put it in first and shift it your self at about 5800, but then when you shift it into second it will shift out of second at around 4500. I found out that after you shift into second you can pull it back down into low gear and it will hold second until you shift into drive. That way you can rev out to 5800 or so in second, instead of 4500. But you can also adjust the throttle valve linkage to make it shift at a higher RPM when you just have it in drive. But that will make it shift higher during regular driving, as well as WOT.

why would he want to rev it out to 5800?????

im sure hes making a whopping 100lbs of torque at that rpm...

·
Registered
508 Posts
Its okay to do every once in awhile and is hard on the trans but I posted this earlier this year :

PHP:
I wasnt sure if it was a common thing everyone knew that has an aod in their pony or not but when I had my Trans rebuilt in my 89 and had a shift kit put in, the guy at the speed shop told me to put it in low, wined it out throw it in D and then back into Low real fast and it shifted into second and chirped and rode out second gear until I threw it in to D for third and then OD for fourth. Anyways I thought I would share that with everyone because it made my pony that much more fun to drive just messing around town. I plan on doing the same thing when I rebuild the 91 vert. I have to say the first time I did it I was worried about winding out the motor to far but with the shift kit it shifted. Anyways thought I would share.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
You can do the shuffle once in a while, it just accelerates the wear and tear on the transmission because it wasn't designed to be treated that way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.