Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1976 mustang II . It has a 4 cylinder 2.3 liter engine. They also made the 1976 with. 302s engine and I wanted to know what do I need to do in order to drop a 302 in My car. I'm sure id need a new transmission but don't know what else id need to get in order. Thanks

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Not a difficult swap.... diffefent radiator for cooling, yes different trans and more than likely driveshaft. Exhaust will of course be different. 302 oil pan to fit your k frame. As far as distributor get a system that uses its own brain box ex. MSD. As far as suspension it depends on how you gonna drive the car. It something that is not absolute to get the project going. I went from a 2.3 to a 351 and never changed the springs. The car drove fine. Different starter of course too.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Not a difficult swap.... diffefent radiator for cooling, yes different trans and more than likely driveshaft. Exhaust will of course be different. 302 oil pan to fit your k frame. As far as distributor get a system that uses its own brain box ex. MSD. As far as suspension it depends on how you gonna drive the car. It something that is not absolute to get the project going. I went from a 2.3 to a 351 and never changed the springs. The car drove fine. Different starter of course too.

Different motor mounts but that too is no big deal.

Aww.... sorry for the double post

·
Registered
730 Posts
You'll also need to swap rear ends.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
You'll also need to swap rear ends.
That depends on how much power your planning to make otherwise a gear change would be all. I could say that you may have to change the hood but that depends on the intake manifold selected. A 351has a higher deck height without the factor of the manifold.

·
Registered
730 Posts
The 6 3/4's won't take the torque from a 302.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
To use what the factroy had used, motor mounts, frame mounts, oil pan, exhaust manifolds, damper, flywheel, pullies, bellhousing, front engine acc mount bracket for alt, power steering, a/c if you are using it, thottle cable, tach with tach adapter, radiator.

What you can get away with not have to have specify V8 mustang II engine parts. Brackets for alt, a/c mounts, pullies, Exhaust manifolds (headers heddmen or hooker), damper and flywheel with to be on which balance engine is 28oz or 50oz, flywheel according to bellhousing being used (there is quicktime bell housing), radiator can still be bought new, oil pan have to modified alittle, thing with the tach V8 cars had adapter on the back of to make it read right with V8.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts