Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do i swap the automatic transmission in my 1992 4cyl to a manual. what would i need to change and is the cumputer compatable for the manual or would i need to change that?? and further information would be much appreciated. o ya and sorry about the spelling but ya any help would be great

·
Registered
400 Posts
use the search function. its an important tool of everyday life here on afm as well as any forum.

it has been done before and there are write ups out there. WITH PICTURES wow.

·
Registered
400 Posts
lawl lighten up kid. :nono:

im just saying. read.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
The job is really not that hard to do. We do them all the time in our shop. The best way is to buy a donor car and switck everything. Its a lot easier than you think. If you have a donor car you can compair and switch. 5 speed mustangs are pritty cheap with the 4 cyl. I bought one lastweek for $400.00 bucks. Body was shot and motor and trans perfect.

:wavey:happydance:;):bigthumbsup:gringreen:D:hihi::)

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Hay no sweat dude that job is a piece of cake. I bet after you do it you will take your brothers for a ride. Its a great feeling to get rid of that slush box auto and drive a 5 speeder. Just dont forget to install the pilot bearing. Good luck tom :bigthumbsup ;) :happydance: :gringreen :D :hihi: :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Will the fuel milage go up with the swap, I'm getting upwards of 30 on long trips now.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Will the fuel milage go up with the swap, I'm getting upwards of 30 on long trips now.
That's pretty good! The switch to the manual tranny should increase mileage if it is implemented properly. This is just an assumption seeing as a manual transmission has about a 25% HP gain over an automatic. This should translate into gas mileage but 30+MPG is a very good number. What do you get in the city? I am pretty sure that a manual mainly helps for stop-n-go city driving because of how it is geared compared to the auto (the auto may have a lower overdrive gear?)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is old but my gas mileage actually went down 4 miles to the gallon tho i did alot of freeway driving the stock autos came with 3.73 gears and the stock manuals came with 3.55 so idk if that gearing made a different is the mileage but i did run the engine hard

·
0 Posts
This thread has been cleaned up due to language and flaming.

It should've never gotten as bad as it did, and for that I apologize. The Mustang II and the 2.3 Forums are fairly self-policing, so I usually don't have to do much other than skim them over now-and-then, while helping out in the other forums from a moderating standpoint. I don't know how this one escaped my attention; but it has been fixed.

This is a blanket warning to everyone involved, keep it clean, USE the search feature, as was suggested (seriously, how many more auto-to-manual swap threads do we freaking need?), and have fun. If you can't do these, simply leave, go find somewhere else to pick fights and express immaturity.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.