Ford Mustang Forum banner

How do I use my tune device

268 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  AndyEckel
I have a 2013 Mustang GT and recently got a tuner for it. I noticed that I can change the rev limiter overall and for neutral. If I change the one for neutral, does it only apply to when the car is in neutral or when the clutch is pushed in? I go to the dragstrip occasionally and wanting to get better launches but don't necessarily want to get a 2step. Thanks in advance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Greetings!

Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
We encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
If you need help posting, please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you have chosen to be a part of our community.

Someone will be along shortly to offer advice.
Welcome to the forum

Not sure, I assume "in neutral" means in neutral, but it might mean "when the car is not moving." I remember a few years back, Bama used to offer a "launch control" tune that supposedly would limit the RPM's to whatever you set, as long as the car was not moving. Then as soon as it senses the car moving, the limiter was removed. This supposedly allowed you to floor the gas with the clutch in, the system would maintain 3,000 RPM or whatever you set in the tune, then when you release the clutch and the car starts moving, it would give full RPM again. I never tried it so I don't know if it actually worked.

This might have used the feature that you are talking about. I guess one way to find out for sure, is to try it -- you could set a fairly low RPM limit like 2,000 RPM and see what happens.
Reactions: Cobrajet67
I think that probably mimicked what was available on the Boss 302 and GT500 of the time.
Welcome to the forum

Not sure, I assume "in neutral" means in neutral, but it might mean "when the car is not moving." I remember a few years back, Bama used to offer a "launch control" tune that supposedly would limit the RPM's to whatever you set, as long as the car was not moving. Then as soon as it senses the car moving, but limiter was removed. This supposedly allowed you to floor the gas with the clutch in, the system would maintain 3,000 RPM or whatever you set in the tune, then when you release the clutch and the car starts moving, it would give full RPM again. I never tried it so I don't know if it actually worked.

This might have used the feature that you are talking about. I guess one way to find out for sure, is to try it -- you could set a fairly low RPM limit like 2,000 RPM and see what happens.
I noticed that I can change the rev limiter overall
Be very careful what you set that rev limiter to overall. It's there for a reason.
I wish to offer the following for your consideration. This is with sincerity and genuine concern for your 'Stang and your wallet.

* Generally speaking, when a fellow enthusiast is unfamiliar with how to use a tuner for very basic PCM/ECM adjustments such as the RPM limit, my general response is that you need to take it to a tuner who knows what they're doing.

* Based on the overall context of your original post, I'm guessing you are suffering from a lack of traction on street tires when you go to the track. This can and will happen even with an otherwise unmolested S197. This is exacerbated with a manual transmission, because they are just inherently harder to drive.

* So I'm assuming you need an RPM launch limiter - because you are experiencing wheelspin when the light turns green - and not a tune that increases your redline.

* What I believe you are describing above is that your tuner - whatever handheld tuner you have - can adjust the idle RPM and /or the actual RPM redline. Neither one of these adjustments will help you with traction control.

- - - - -

My suggestions:
1) Get yourself a set of 15" drag radials (and wheels) that you can swap out with your street tires when you go to the track. This is the best way you can improve your 60 ft times.

2) Get a two-step. They are super simple to install and you can easily adjust your launch-limit RPM where you can stand full throttle on the gas pedal to the point where you won't break traction once you pop the clutch - no matter what tire you are running. You should be able to dial this launch point in after a dozen or so passes at your local track!!!

PS: For your reading pleasure, there is no such thing as too much power. There is only such thing as too little traction!

PSS: More info about your mods, if any, would be helpful! :)

GOOD LUCK!!!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts