Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just opened my hood for the first time in like 2 months....man, it's filthy under there! Makes me so sad! How do you guys clean the engine? It seems all weird with all that plastic and coverings down there and whatnot.

J

·
0 Posts
I use a re-purposed toilet brush and soapy water to get the dirt off then follow up on the rubber and plastic parts with some kind of foaming tire cleaner. Makes the plastic stuff look new.

G

·
0 Posts
Hey, what's to do in Woodbridge? I'm new to VA and need a little road trip. Any neat attractions? Beaches?

G

·
0 Posts
Hell I checked weekly for about 6 monhts but I only do it once a month but it's never burned a drop so I've learned to trust it.

Sorry, I haven't answered your question;

I wash under the hood like I do the outside, a clean soft cloth and lots of expensive automotive wash stuff from Meguire's and such.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
My first thought was about oil too. For the answer I just use a spray bottle with a 30% simple green solution spray stuff down with that (engine off) then rinse lightly with a hose. Avoid the obvious things that don't want to get real wet. It's not like the engines don't get wet from road spray (if you drive in the rain). Side note so you can laff at me, had the car 1 year, yesterday was the first time it got rained on...10 minute downpour I'm proud of not wigging out.

edit...Orbit, I would have sprung for a new brush

·
Registered
947 Posts
Hey, what's to do in Woodbridge? I'm new to VA and need a little road trip. Any neat attractions? Beaches?

lmao, hoodridge. There's a Kings Dominion down 95 South. Potomac Mills? :laugh:

If you want to go somewhere fun, I suggest the National Harbor, DC, Arlington, etc. Further, VA beach is 2 hours away and 3 hours away from Ocean City. I would also recommend Williamsburg, VA to check out the history battle grounds. If you want to go to Shenandoah valley and take you stang there, it's magnificent. Lauray Caverns, etc.

G

·
0 Posts
lmao, hoodridge. There's a Kings Dominion down 95 South. Potomac Mills? :laugh:

If you want to go somewhere fun, I suggest the National Harbor, DC, Arlington, etc. Further, VA beach is 2 hours away and 3 hours away from Ocean City. I would also recommend Williamsburg, VA to check out the history battle grounds. If you want to go to Shenandoah valley and take you stang there, it's magnificent. Lauray Caverns, etc.
No, no....I live right by the Pentagon. There is nothing "fun" in the Arlington/DC area. This place is horrible.

I want a nice drive to get the hell out of here for a little while. I noticed a state park in your area. Can one go hiking/mountain biking/shooting in it?

I've already done Sky Line Drive (if that's what you mean by Shenandoah Valley/Luray Caverns).

·
Registered
707 Posts
No, no....I live right by the Pentagon. There is nothing "fun" in the Arlington/DC area. This place is horrible.

I want a nice drive to get the hell out of here for a little while. I noticed a state park in your area. Can one go hiking/mountain biking/shooting in it?

I've already done Sky Line Drive (if that's what you mean by Shenandoah Valley/Luray Caverns).
I've never heard someone say that in NoVA/DC they had nothing to do!

Unless you've been to every monument or museum, hate sporting events, don't enjoy world class restaurants, been to every bar in Arlington/Georgetown/U Street/DuPont Circle/K Street... There's pleeeenty to do.

I hate DC but there's lots to do in the area. Most of the good driving happens south or west from the area. I don't hunt/hike but I'm pretty sure someone here at work can tell me where to get away from "the city". I'll ask around.

·
Registered
947 Posts

Depends what you mean by "Fun". There's a Bull Run shooting range (Chantilly, Centreville) I go out to if you like Skeet Shooting. Nice place, fairly priced.

Further, I would also recommend a drive out to purcellville, leesburg, blue mount ridge, etc. Devils Steps is a nice area to hike and you have a lot of wineries near by. If you like to Gamble, you can hit up West Virginia to Hollywood. That drive out there is freaking NICE. I would take my car every weekend (not to gamble) and drive back because it was so beautiful. You can open it up, lots of twists and turns.

Drive to Front Royal is nice, Paris VA is nice too. Lots to do, just depends what you're looking for. I don't know your age and hobbies, but there's a lot to do in this area. I do real estate so I'm fairly knowledgeable about NOVA in general. Great Falls area is nice for a hike, picnic.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow I started a NOVA thread...cool. lol. I actually just moved to the Ballston area in Arlington, so there's a TON to do, especially for someone like myself (26, single). My parents live in Woodbridge and I haven't updated my city, but there's a lot to do here if you find the right places.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Cool. Do you guys use that engine degreaser stuff? I used to spray that on my cold engine, wait for about 30 mins, then take a garden hose and spray it down. Not sure if that same method will work for the newer 5.0 engine bay.

·
Registered
947 Posts
You live in Arlington and you're worried if your engine is clean? Dude, I would get those hot interns to clean the whole car for you while you're having a drink in Clarendon Ballroom. :bigthumbsup

At 26, you should be trying to get something else polished :D

S

·
0 Posts
Damp cloth every week. If you keep on top of it you'll only have to dust instead of building up.

(Haven't lifted your hood in 6 months?)

J

·
0 Posts
You live in Arlington and you're worried if your engine is clean? Dude, I would get those hot interns to clean the whole car for you while you're having a drink in Clarendon Ballroom. :bigthumbsup

I like the way you think :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Hahaha trust me, that happens. That's one reason I love this area. Walk outside and its' just like GOOD. But, I still love my car too.

G

·
0 Posts
I've never heard someone say that in NoVA/DC they had nothing to do!

Unless you've been to every monument or museum, hate sporting events, don't enjoy world class restaurants, been to every bar in Arlington/Georgetown/U Street/DuPont Circle/K Street... There's pleeeenty to do.

I hate DC but there's lots to do in the area. Most of the good driving happens south or west from the area. I don't hunt/hike but I'm pretty sure someone here at work can tell me where to get away from "the city". I'll ask around.
I didn't say there's nothing to do either, I just said this place is terrible.

Monuments, museums, bars and restaurants are not my interests.......hell, bars are for kids. And the crush of humanity, traffic and congestion is just depressing.

I'm just looking for nice drives of 1-2 hours that take me out of this area. Find something interesting to see/do.

Sorry for the thread de-rail OP.

·
Registered
978 Posts

Wha???

I would kill to be back in the Alexandria area. I always found that place to be full of entertainment. Granted museums and chasing girls at bars were my two past times so DC covers that really well.

There are plenty of indoor shooting ranges if you want that. If you are looking for hiking or nature type stuff, I know a buddy used to do Shenandoah all the time for hikes.

G

·
0 Posts
Wow I started a NOVA thread...cool. lol. I actually just moved to the Ballston area in Arlington, so there's a TON to do, especially for someone like myself (26, single). My parents live in Woodbridge and I haven't updated my city, but there's a lot to do here if you find the right places.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Cool. Do you guys use that engine degreaser stuff? I used to spray that on my cold engine, wait for about 30 mins, then take a garden hose and spray it down. Not sure if that same method will work for the newer 5.0 engine bay.
Seriously....

A big bucket of Meguires car wash & water, a fluffy rag, garden hose, and elbow grease. That way, you're not forcing water into any electrical connections. Degreasers are for old vehicles coated in nasty crapola, not a newer car that's just dusty/dirty under the hood. It may actually damage some of the plastics.

Treat under the hood just like you do the outside. Would you spray degreaser on your car to wash it?

G

·
0 Posts
Wha???

I would kill to be back in the Alexandria area. I always found that place to be full of entertainment. Granted museums and chasing girls at bars were my two past times so DC covers that really well.

There are plenty of indoor shooting ranges if you want that. If you are looking for hiking or nature type stuff, I know a buddy used to do Shenandoah all the time for hikes.
I'm guessing you're in your 20s or early 30s......I'm a bit older than that.:gringreen

I'll check Shenandoah out this weekend, might be the fresh air I'm looking for.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts