Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you improve shifting feel on Auto trans 4.6 GT's?My 02 6 cyl Mustang had firmer shifts and would chirp the tires when shifting into 2nd at 5200 rpm!On my GT it's hit and miss sometimes it'll shift firm and chirp the tires.Other times it feels like it shifts painfully slow.Any suggestions? Don't say trade it in for a 5spd:winks .

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
A shift kit or valve body will do the trick.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
i agree shift kit and a valve body kit will be best... you might tighten it up with a hand held tuner..... i get chirp into 3rd gear at redline.... then agian i have a 5 speed =)

·
Registered
32 Posts
thats 3 people that say shift kit and a valve body

·
Registered
1,918 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
you might want to look into getting a handheld tuner.....this only increases line pressure and does heat up the tranny quite a bit depending on the firmness that you have selected....u can adjust the WOT and partial throttle shift firmness as well as the shift points....the Diabo Predator woke my tranny up and shifted a lot firmer/faster, but the tranny does heat up some....i would also recommend a transmission cooler if you are modifying the tranny......a valve body is a more expensive route but i think ultimately there will be less wear and tear on your tranny....B&M, Transgo (sp?) and some other companies make shift kits as well.......the programmer also has a tune that adds more HP and TQ to your ride, so its like killing 2 birds with one stone......there are a lot of other paramteres that u can modify with a tuner as well, so it is a good investment.........good luck....

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input guys.:thumbsup

G

·
I have the jmod and a SCT tune and let me tell ya, i dont wish for a manual anymore like i did when i got the car. The factory shifts were very slow and soft. The jmod tightened them alot and then the raised line pressure with the tune made it perfect. The tune can also raise the shift points which also benefits the car. I have a tranny cooler but i just need to get it on.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
MBH - do you have instructions or better link than I found; still also considering doing this myself. thanks/Jeff

G

·
meatball said:
MBH - do you have instructions or better link than I found; still also considering doing this myself. thanks/Jeff

Go to tccoa.com. Its a thunderbird website which it was first made for. Also go to Modulardepot.com and do a search. tccoa.com has the full write up!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
mbhmustang1998 said:
Go to tccoa.com. Its a thunderbird website which it was first made for. Also go to Modulardepot.com and do a search. tccoa.com has the full write up!
-- will do, thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.