Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew how to install new ABS reluctor/exciter rings onto new axles. I have a shop press and I could use a long pipe to press it on. I was wondering if that was the way to go or if it'd be better to heat up the ring and try to slip it on. The new rings from latemodelrestoration.com are made from steel unlike the stock aluminum ones. Thanks for any help on this.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Since it is steel, I would heat it like a ring gear.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since it is steel, I would heat it like a ring gear.
Cool I'll toss it in the oven and heat it up to 500. I'll use my little propane torch to heat it up some more than I'll slip it on. If I need it hotter I can toss it on some charcoal in my bbq.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Cool I'll toss it in the oven and heat it up to 500. I'll use my little propane torch to heat it up some more than I'll slip it on. If I need it hotter I can toss it on some charcoal in my bbq.
Did you pull the other ones off already? It was my understanding that you should replace the entire axle. If not, I never knew that you could even get just the ABS tone ring by itself.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you pull the other ones off already? It was my understanding that you should replace the entire axle. If not, I never knew that you could even get just the ABS tone ring by itself.
I have new axles but I did try swapping the rings but they wouldn't press tight on the new shafts. I cut the old axles apart and was able to press the old rings off but they were deformed in the process. I bought the new axles and abs rings from latemodelrestoration.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts