Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at a bunch of threads on tuning. The Tweecer, EEC-Tuner,etc came up. I was surprised to see that most people said a tuner is not needed for our cars. If you adjust your timing with the distributor and adjust the fuel by the pressure regulator, then how do you know what your A/F ratio is?? I was thinking about spending the money on the Tweecer and see if my boss can dyno tune it with that for me (and hopefully show me how to use it), but if this is not necessary, then how do you know what your A/F mixture is?:?:

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
You need an air/fuel meter which uses a wide band O2 sensor.

If you take it to a Dyno tuner they most probably have one.

BTW..with the kind of mods you have a dyno tune (with chip or tuner board) would unleash some serious HP.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Mileage is a good indicator of how you are running but you need to datalog to see where you are running rich/lean then adjust your maf curve to correct it.

Like GT raptor stated , wideband is the only way to get it precise. Narrow band sensors that are on our car arent near as accurate.

·
Registered
721 Posts
"How do you know if your rich or lean??"

I usually check my wallet . . . :winks

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
truuble said:
"How do you know if your rich or lean??"

I usually check my wallet . . . :winks
HAHAHA LMAO!!!

But seriously, where do I get the air/fuel meter? Is there any brands that are preferred over most? And will it tell me what O2 sensor is needed for that meter?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have one more question. If I am having my car professionally dyno tuned, do I NEED a chip. Im sure I dont absolutely need one, but is there a benefit to actually having one? Thanks

·
Registered
721 Posts
If you are having your car professionally dyno tuned, the shop should also have the capability to burn a custom chip. This is included in most dyno tunes. Once the chip is in, it can be reflashed when you change your setup.

As far as air/fuel ratio goes, your shop will no doubt have a wide band A/F meter that hooks up to the dyno. The dyno will give readings on boost, A/F ratio, rpm, torque, HP, mph . . and whatever else they set it up for.

To monitor your A/F ratio on a regular basis, you need an A/F gauge. I use an Autometer that mounts in a gauge pod mounted to the A-Pillar. It hooks up to the stock O2 sensor.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanx man, thats all the info I need.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Stock o2 sensors aren't accurage. You need a wideband oxygen sensor and wideband controller. They are usually around $300-500 for good ones.

I am using a PLX M300. Got it on ebay for $300 shipped. You need to get the bung also welded into your H/X pipe so it can have somewhere to thread. Alternatively you can replace one o2 sensor with it because it does have the narrowband compatibility wires also.

·
Registered
654 Posts
while were on the subject...

a friend of mine has a generation 1 talon and he got a $20 data cable, bought a pdf, and with one wire off the ecm(data wire like check engine) it does data logging with a program on the pdf, it only cost him for the cable and the pdf, nothing else, is there any way to datalog a ford obd 1 that doesn't require an tuner or tweeker?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.