Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what up guys? my buddy has a stock 98gt with the exception of 4.10 gears and straight pipes. i i have a 98gt with the mods that are in my signature. we have been going at it the past few days and i would say that he beats me 0-40mph 4 out of 5 times prob due to a bad launch on his part. 40-whatever im pullin on him because my car breaths better. i just couldn't believe that he took me for awhile. i know that the mods i have don't do wonders for low end torgue but i didn't expect a stock stang to keep up with me or even beat me. do the mods i have not add as much hp as they say they due or did he beat me simply because of his 4.10 gears compared to my stock 2.73???

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
It's the gears and the fact that the mods you have don't normally add their advertised power. If you really want to get him, swap out gears and throw on a PI intake and cams.

·
Registered
554 Posts
No offense, but your mods really dont add alot to your setup. I would hate to see what happens if he actually launched well since he beat you 4 out of 5 times on a bad launch. Bottom line is that gears get you into your peak powerband quicker. No matter how well you shift, you cant duplicate the steeper gear advantage on a launch.

I'm also curious. How does your car breathe better? A TB with no mufflers again really doesnt do much for you. You still have cats ( think 6 on your car), so you really cant talk about breathing better. Its like breathing through a straw. Your straw might be a little better, but its still a straw.

Bottom line. On 2 relatively stock cars, I'll take the one with 4.10s every day and twice on Sunday if you are looking for off the line performance.

Later,
Jason

·
Registered
316 Posts
4:10's vs. 2:73's=:walksmile

Sorry man, but he is just getting what power he has to the ground a lot faster than you.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
The gears give him a big advantage off the line, you could try making it a longer race for the sake of experimentation, on a top end run your gears would be more of an advantage to you.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
,my friends V6 with 373s takes off the line better untill i hit 2500.. then i pull off him. 327 is my stock gears. i am going to go with 390s soon, and ill be king kong lol... j/k

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Eventually Im going to get boosted and im probably going to drop down to 3.55's or possibly even lower. (depending on whats available.)

I can see the all the question marks already. lol
My thinking behind that is that id like to have a decent top end pull.

Something like the Supras have. Ive seen vids of Supras vs Mustang/Cobras with both cars running roughly equal amounts of hp but ultimatley the Supras pull away (On a highway.) cause they generally dont run such aggressive gearing like our cars so they dont run out of gear on a top end run. We usually do better off the line but dont do great on a long sprint.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
if I ever get boosted I think the highest gear I would use would be a 3.55 also. just enough to get into the powerband quicker, but not enough to kill the high rpm pull.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya i beat him in a top end race. i tend to catch up and adventually pull away from him when he has to shift into third. hes halfway through it by the time i have to shift to 3. to reply to an earlier post. how does my car not breathe better. cai and 75mm tb compared to his restrictive stock air duct and stock 65mm tb. ya its not that much of a diff prob about 15 hp AT MOST if that much. and i have eibach springs which add prob around 60 hp:heha:lol jk. but ya i gues its all about the gear ratios. i was thinkin bout gettin the 3.55 but i don't know i think im going to keep boltin on as many things i can do add a few hp hear and there and when i run out of things to do or get the funds i'll invest in a supercharger not a turbo. those things don't belong in a mustang. if u want to turbo a car buy a ricer.

·
Registered
736 Posts
A turbo belongs in anything that wants to go faster than a supercharged or nitrous car.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Yeah, ultimatley a turbo make more power than a supercharger even at the same boost levels.

Part of the reason that he may have posted that your car is not breathing all that well even with those mods is because those places arent the chocking points in your car, what really hurts your breathing is those non pi heads.

·
Registered
7 Posts
All the mods you listed might give you 10WHP at at the most.

Throw on a set of PI heads along with the PI intake new set of cams and just sit back and smile

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i solved the problem. i took my dads 03 gt and shut my friend up real quick lol. the race wasn't even fair. what a diff 45 hp makes. i beat him by just about 2 car lengths

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.