Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was at work moving my 2012 GT Kona Blue 5.0 mustang and trying to cover it with some tree cover just in case it decides to hail on my car again. Yes, I said again. I only had it for a week too. Now let me get to the point. I never understood how mechanics in a factory can fix most most the crap in there but know absolutely nothing about a car. He stood there and asked me "How many horses does that thing have?" So I had simply told him "Well, depending on fuel,exhaust, and intake. Well over 410." What he was trying to do is talk trash cause it was a mustang. Claiming his 2003 Impala SS that has a 5.3 L has 300 something horses. He thought just because his Liter size was bigger means he should have more horses. Right? Wrong! haha... So he asked "How does that thing have over 410 horses?" I just said "Because its a 5.0." Leaving him to ponder the statement for a few more hours.

Now, let's just say you were in my situation how would of you handled it? Would you lay down every stat about the 2012 GT 5.0? (If so post it on here; all that you know). Would you talk trash about chevy? What would you do?:heha:

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
I think it was Ron White that said, "you can't fix stupid"! Sounds like who you were talking to qualifies. I once talked to a Honda salesman that thought an Accord had dual exhaust because there were 2 tips on the muffler. And this was back when the Accord only came with an I4!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it was Ron White that said, "you can't fix stupid"! Sounds like who you were talking to qualifies. I once talked to a Honda salesman that thought an Accord had dual exhaust because there were 2 tips on the muffler. And this was back when the Accord only came with an I4!
You really can't fix stupid. Ron White is a genius.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Ford actually underrated the 5.0. It's more like 420-430 hp & 400 ft-lbs at the crank. Dyno's are putting down 360-375 rwhp STOCK. Tell em to suck on those numbers for a while.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
I had an old Buick that came factory with a 455 c.i. (or in modern terms 7.4L to 8.0L territory) engine with sad, sad, sad 7.5:1 compression (mid 1970's attempt to deal with smog and the "fuel crisis"), producing peak 205 HP @ 4800 RPM and 345 lbs TQ @ 2000 RPM on a 4Bbl 750-800 CFM Rochester Q-Jet Carburetor. Has less to do with cubic inches (or litres) and much more to do with pieces-parts and how they're all tuned, especially where a computer comes into the mix.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I've come to realize that just because someone is a mechanic, doesn't necessarily mean they know a lot about cars. Don't get me wrong, most probably know more about working on them than I do. But after talking to so many that don't know jack about late model Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers, and anything designed to go reasonably fast, its apparent that knowing how to work on cars is the extent of their knowledge. Before I really started getting in to modding, I listened to a lot of crap they spewed and didn't know any better. Now when someone is pulling BS out of their behind, its pretty obvious.

I probably would have handled it similarly to you. I don't enjoy getting in to HP arguments with people, especially when they obviously don't know what the hell they are talking about. Confusing them more like you did is even better :) You can always offer to race him too, blow his doors off and show him how far out of touch with reality that he is :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Theres a very old saying
"Never argue with an idiot, because they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience".

Nuff Said :winks

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
I had an old Buick that came factory with a 455 c.i. (or in modern terms 7.4L to 8.0L territory) engine with sad, sad, sad 7.5:1 compression (mid 1970's attempt to deal with smog and the "fuel crisis"), producing peak 205 HP @ 4800 RPM and 345 lbs TQ @ 2000 RPM on a 4Bbl 750-800 CFM Rochester Q-Jet Carburetor. Has less to do with cubic inches (or litres) and much more to do with pieces-parts and how they're all tuned, especially where a computer comes into the mix.
How does a fixed displacement of 455 ci get a range of 7.4L to 8.0L? I calculate your first option of 7.4L.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Theres a very old saying
"Never argue with an idiot, because they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience".

Nuff Said :winks
Nice.
How about:

People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
How does a fixed displacement of 455 ci get a range of 7.4L to 8.0L? I calculate your first option of 7.4L.
My father had a 78 TransAm 400ci ~ 6.6L. Craptastic POS

·
Registered
459 Posts
LOL a 2003 Impala SS? Wut?

Considering the Impala SS didn't come back until 2004...

AND it was a supercharged 3.8L 3800 Series 2 V6, not the 5.3L LS4 V8 that came around in 2006. All 303hp of it...

If only GM would really make a true Impala SS again...

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
If only GM would really make a true Impala SS again...
...that doesn't look like a pudgy Hyundai, if you don't mind me expanding on your wish, LOL. :D

As to arguing with the guy, he is driving an (in name only) Impala after all so be gentle, kindness to the less fortunate, and so on. :winks

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I see there is now a Buick Regal turbo, although only 270hp.

Could the Grand National be coming back again?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
The other day I was at work moving my 2012 GT Kona Blue 5.0 mustang and trying to cover it with some tree cover just in case it decides to hail on my car again. Yes, I said again. I only had it for a week too. Now let me get to the point. I never understood how mechanics in a factory can fix most most the crap in there but know absolutely nothing about a car. He stood there and asked me "How many horses does that thing have?" So I had simply told him "Well, depending on fuel,exhaust, and intake. Well over 410." What he was trying to do is talk trash cause it was a mustang. Claiming his 2003 Impala SS that has a 5.3 L has 300 something horses. He thought just because his Liter size was bigger means he should have more horses. Right? Wrong! haha... So he asked "How does that thing have over 410 horses?" I just said "Because its a 5.0." Leaving him to ponder the statement for a few more hours.

Now, let's just say you were in my situation how would of you handled it? Would you lay down every stat about the 2012 GT 5.0? (If so post it on here; all that you know). Would you talk trash about chevy? What would you do?:heha:

I would have said that the computers were as big as houses in the 70's but my I-phone probably has a million times more power:bigthumbsup. Or asked if he knew the least bit about cars in general, if I wanted to be mean. Or maybe point to an ant on the ground and then back at him and say, your brain is a ton bigger than that ant's, but the ant probably has more brainpower:smartass:, if I wanted to be really mean.:gringreen

And please tell me that I misunderstood you, that guy was not a mechanic was he, and if he was, for the love of GOD tell me he is not YOUR mechanic. :winks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Couple of comments:

1. How many horses does that thing have? I would believe most people inquire about engine net and not rear wheel. That aside, and as many of you have already stated, bigger does not always mean higher power / faster, etc. In the end, what you can put to the ground (traction aside - suspension and tires) is the result of so many different parameters - i.e. engine displacement, induction, compression, fuel mixture, temperature, humidity, altitude, transmission, gears, etc.

2. No matter what, within my knowledge and ability, I always try to explain as best as I can. One word of advise or recommendation: never talk "trash" about other peoples' cars. It only promotes anger and bad feelings, and it does not lead to a good / healthy discussion about what we all love - cars !!! If confronted with raw stupidity, just take the high road and drive away. This is my humble opinion.

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
Couple of comments:

1. How many horses does that thing have? I would believe most people inquire about engine net and not rear wheel. That aside, and as many of you have already stated, bigger does not always mean higher power / faster, etc. In the end, what you can put to the ground (traction aside - suspension and tires) is the result of so many different parameters - i.e. engine displacement, induction, compression, fuel mixture, temperature, humidity, altitude, transmission, gears, etc.

2. No matter what, within my knowledge and ability, I always try to explain as best as I can. One word of advise or recommendation: never talk "trash" about other peoples' cars. It only promotes anger and bad feelings, and it does not lead to a good / healthy discussion about what we all love - cars !!! If confronted with raw stupidity, just take the high road and drive away. This is my humble opinion.
I admire your restraint, but sometimes an idiot needs to be called an idiot. Otherwise, in some of those people's world they'll never know. They'll just go on unchallenged spewing garbage. The problem is knowing when.

·
Banned
3,124 Posts

In all honesty, no. First, his Impala SS DOES have 303 horsepower (crank, anyway). And I think LS1's and LS2's are the shizz. I have to be honest, there's nothing like a well tuned LS1/2 that's loping its pants off with an open exhaust. I try to open people's minds and I don't go on the attack unless they say something REALLY stupid like "V-Tek iz teh bestest ingyn tek out thur! My NOS Sivvek wyth kold ayr and an egsost will KILL your retardid V ate and any1 who thinks otherwyz is a bych!" (Yes, this took a LOT of efford to type)

·
Registered
468 Posts
You should have told him how the 3.7l V6 in the mustang makes 2 more hp than his 5.3l SS. He would have looked at you like you just divided by 0.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
It has been many, many years since I made the calculation and I couldn't remember which one it was. 7.4 it is. Can't remember what kind of vehicle the 8.0L was calculated on. Perhaps a Cadillac 500 or something thereabout. Too long ago to remember. It doesn't amount to a hill of beans anyway. Just tossing in a random example that big engines don't equal big HP.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.