Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might be easy, might be hard, but there's enough cosmetic-modders here that hopefully someone can provide info......

A very good friend of mine just bought an '06 Mustang GT and has an outstanding idea on a treatment for the chrome "Running Pony" insignia on the grille. Don't worry, it's not about defacing it in any way, and it'll be going back on after a really interesting and tasteful modification. I don't want to spill the beans here but rest assured its a VERY COOL idea and has some interesting meaning attached.

So the question is, has anyone removed just the chrome pony and if so, how is it attached? I've seen some pictures of gold ponies and red/white/blue striped ponies (not what's being done here) so it seems it must come off. However, feeling around in the back I dont feel anything like screw heads or anythign. Does it pop off or anything?

Idears, anyone?

Thanks in advance for helpful replies.... :thumbsup :drink:

·
Registered
829 Posts
Mines getting a pumpkin in the center!

Maybe you can get one of them nice .pdf files like were posted a while back of the repair manual. Have you done a search here for the thread? It was about a month ago I think. I did a quick search and didn't get it. I will look some more...

·
Registered
172 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
wow! that is it! you found it martimus. great job.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Don't plan on reusing the chrome pony after you remone it because the chances of breaking all the mounting studs are very high.The small retaining rings are difficult at best to remove without breaking the plastic studs.I have removed several of them to build center mounted fog light grilles and don't remember getting any of the retainers off witout breaking the stud.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks very much gents - great info, perfect. Appreciate the advice and your time!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Stoopy said:
Might be easy, might be hard, but there's enough cosmetic-modders here that hopefully someone can provide info......

A very good friend of mine just bought an '06 Mustang GT and has an outstanding idea on a treatment for the chrome "Running Pony" insignia on the grille. Don't worry, it's not about defacing it in any way, and it'll be going back on after a really interesting and tasteful modification. I don't want to spill the beans here but rest assured its a VERY COOL idea and has some interesting meaning attached.

So the question is, has anyone removed just the chrome pony and if so, how is it attached? I've seen some pictures of gold ponies and red/white/blue striped ponies (not what's being done here) so it seems it must come off. However, feeling around in the back I dont feel anything like screw heads or anythign. Does it pop off or anything?

Idears, anyone?

OK, well that was me he was asking for. This seemed like a nice enough unwholesome place to hang out and ask questions about my new toy, so I registered. Blame Stoopy!:) (admitting him means you're not too discriminating about your membership, so I figured I was a shu-in!:laughlitt )

So, what I was up to was going for a "blackout" mustang on the grill, as it's just a little too obtrusive for my lack of taste. BUT, following this thread, I check out the classicdesignconcepts folks and they are supposed to get back to me about dipping one in flat or gloss black (they use the factory chrome plastic one for a base, but have an immersion coating process or sum'thin'). They sound very responsive on the phone, BTW.

But then, I wandered into this other thread over here and found a link to something I think I want more...the ol' 67' Shelby look: (link shamelessly stolen from someone else's thread...)
http://www.musclecardirect.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=702&osCsid=61d8d17b4ebecc28addf46701fad5630

But, if the first is a little cheezy, and the second too rich for yer blood, I've got a third option:
Pop that 'lil horsey thing off and get any of several perforated meshes from these guys: (scroll about halfway down the page)
http://www.customcargrills.com/products.asp?pg=2

and 'voila!', you have a custom Mustang scoopy grill thingy that you can paint whatever color suits ya'. Hit it with some tin snips and instant fit.

I'll let ya's know which way I decide to go....

Cheers!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dude!!! :drink:

^^ .....'Ees good people, folks...no matter whatcha read in the paper!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Stoopy said:

Idears, anyone?

stoopy the ponies are a pain in the butt to take off...the little round clips eat into the pins and they are a bear!!!! Very carefully picking the little "ears" on the clips will do it...use a dental pick for this.Check out my car domain site to see what I am offering for the 05-06 pony emblem options!!!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/763164
also look here
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=37613

·
Registered
49 Posts
hireman said:
stoopy the ponies are a pain in the butt to take off...the little round clips eat into the pins and they are a bear!!!! Very carefully picking the little "ears" on the clips will do it...use a dental pick for this.Check out my car domain site to see what I am offering for the 05-06 pony emblem options!!!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/763164
also look here
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=37613
You could put me down for one of those right now if done in straight black without the flames (I'm not knockin' it, it looks great....just not me.)
Do these attach in the same way with those PITA clips thingies?...can just get more from the Ford store, I imagine.....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ascout said:
You could put me down for one of those right now if done in straight black without the flames (I'm not knockin' it, it looks great....just not me.)
Do these attach in the same way with those PITA clips thingies?...can just get more from the Ford store, I imagine.....
yes , these are factory ford parts that I sandblast off all the chrome, then apply adhesion promoter, then the base and in your case the clear.....the finish will be slicker than the paint on your car. I also include the 4 round clips with the emblem cause you will never be able to re-use the ones on there now. How does 40.00 shipped sound? If thats cool with you , shoot me an email to [email protected] and I'll get you in the list. I have a huge pony order coming within the next two weeks and should be able to get yours out really quick since its a base color only job. Make sure you tell me in the email you want black only. When the ponies get here, I will send you a paypal request for payment, in that include your shipping address and it will get done. these will be shipped USPS priority mail w/ delivery confirm wrapped in bubble wrap then stuck in a bubble envelope.
Hope to get that email and get you in line.

thanks for the interest,
Bill C.

·
Registered
104 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts