Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off let me say my bad for not being on in a while. Anyway, now that it's summer and I'm out of class it's time to hit up the track. I'm heading down to Cecil drag way on Wednesday. I figured some of you track vets, and MD locals would know what you need to run in order to be required to wear a helmet. I heard 13's, but couldn't find anything about it on their website. I'm gonna be a little pissed off if I don't break into the mid 13's, and I'll be almost as pissed if they tell me to leave since I don't have a helmet for doing it lol. Thanks guys

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
here its like 11.99 i think

wear one anyways.

saftey first

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really don't have the money to go buy a helmet right now, and if I did than there would be a set of 3.73's at my door instead lol

R

·
0 Posts
here its like 11.99 i think

wear one anyways.

saftey first
Now for the correct answer.......:)

NHRA rules for 2009 state that "any car running 14.00 and quicker in the 1/4 mile requires a Snell K98 or 2000 or newer OR SFI 41.1A helmet (see complete list below)". Also a new NHRA rule for '08 requires that "any car running 9.99 or quicker in the 1/4 mile requires an NHRA approved FULL face helmet with visor.

The NHRA 2009 Rule Book Reads as follows for Helmets and Goggles:
As outlined under Class Requirements, drivers in all classes, including motorcycles, must wear a helmet meeting Snell or SFI Specifications.
SFI Spec 31.1A = Snell SA, open-face helmet
SFI Spec 31.2A = Snell SA, full-face helmet
SFI Spec 41.1A = Snell M, open-face helmet
SFI Spec 41.2A = Snell M , full-face helmet

Effective Jan. 1, 2008, full face helmet mandatory on all cars 9.99 or quicker. See Individual Class Requirements for additional requirements. Shield mandatory 7.49 & quicker.
E.T. cars (13.99 or quicker) must use a helmet meeting Snell 2000, 2005, 2007 or SFI 31.1A, 31.2A, 31.1/2005, 41.1A, 41.2A or 41.1/2005 Specs. Drivers in supercharged, front-engine, open-bodied cars and Funny Cars must wear a helmet meeting Snell SA2000, SA2005 or SFI 31.1A, 31.2A, or 31.1/2005 Specs. See Class Requirements.

NHRA Helmet Expiration Dates
Label Expires Label Expires
SFI 41.1A 1/1/2014
Snell 2000 1/1/2012 SFI 41.2A 1/1/2014
Snell 2005 1/1/2017 SFI 31.1/2005 1/1/2017
Snell 2007 1/1/2019 SFI 41.1/2005 1/1/2017
SFI 31.1A 1/1/2014 SFI 24.1 (JDRL only) 1/1/2015
SFI 31.2A 1/1/2014 SFI 24.1/2005 1/1/2017
Modifications to helmet/shield are prohibited. All helmets must have the appropriate certification sticker affixed inside the helmet.

ALL POWER ADDER RACERS WITH N0N-OEM/FACTORY POWER ADDERS IE:SUPERCHARGERS,TURBOCHARGERS,OR THE USE OF NITROUS. SECTION 1A,PAGE 65 OF THE 2009 NHRA RULEBOOK READS AS FOLLOWS. "10.00(*6.40 1/8 MILE) AND SLOWER; ALL E.T.NON-OEM SUPERCHARGER,NON-OEM TURBOCHARGED, OR NITROUS-EQUIPPED CARS WITH AN OEM OR .024-INCH STEEL FIREWALL: JACKET MEETING SFI SPEC 3.2A/1 MANDATORY. "

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! I actually looked at the NHRA website, but to be honest I was lazy and didn't want to search. So thanks for the help!
Thanks again bro! Guess i'll be getting kicked out after one run, better make it a good one!:gringreen
But than i'll be back with one the next time

·
Registered
918 Posts
You could always run hard through the 1/8 then lift to keep from running too fast. You can then calculate your 1/4 speed from what you run in the 1/8.

You're going to need a helmet eventually anyways but this way you can get more than one run in.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats a very good point. But letting off is kinda like pulling out ;) .....easier said than done haha

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
:evilchuck:evilchuck:evilchuck:evilchuck

I agree who wants to sandbag. In all reality, a helmet should be worn at all times at the track. You never know if the car ahead of you dumped crap on the track, and you just hit it doing 130mph.......

·
Registered
810 Posts

I agree who wants to sandbag. In all reality, a helmet should be worn at all times at the track. You never know if the car ahead of you dumped crap on the track, and you just hit it doing 85mph.......
Corrected that one for you :gringreen

R

·
0 Posts
Thats a very good point. But letting off is kinda like pulling out ;) .....easier said than done haha
That is one way of putting it......:happyhapp

I agree who wants to sandbag. In all reality, a helmet should be worn at all times at the track. You never know if the car ahead of you dumped crap on the track, and you just hit it doing 130mph.......
Show off.......:gringreen

Corrected that one for you :gringreen
Now rub it in......

What we going to do with you........:hihi:

BOTTOM LINE ......

DON'T RACE WITHOUT A HELMET.......:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
810 Posts
Okay, okay......

I wouldn't want to hit it doing 50 either. You are at the mercy of the track sometimes......
I agree...I've had a couple cars cross over the double lines (one hit the wall) BEHIND me at test and tunes (which is the extent of my racing ;) ). Both times I took the hole shot and thought to myself...no better place to be than out in front in case something bad happens :happydance:

And on edit: of course I also do another trick that I think drives the spectators nuts. On occasion if I am lined up against a car I now is flat out faster than I am (like a 10.5 car when I am mid 11s)...I don't go until he is out past the 60'. Not a lot of fun to watch, but hey, its better than fixing sheet metal because of a test and tune disaster.

·
Registered
680 Posts
If I read this correctly, I am really surprised that a track would even consider letting someone drive without a helmet at all. What a huge liability! Also, I have never understood open face helmets, what about your face? I know Chicks dig scars, but it not ussualy facial scars we are talking about. Borrow a friends helmet, a true friend won't mind a little bit of sweat in his helmet, heck, you have probably kissed his sister already anyway. Good luck.

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
all tracks are different. the smart ones follow NHRA rules, or even better. at my local track, GULFPORT DRAGWAY, EVERYBODY wears a helmet! no mater how slow i am.....:hihi:

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
If I read this correctly, I am really surprised that a track would even consider letting someone drive without a helmet at all. What a huge liability! Also, I have never understood open face helmets, what about your face? I know Chicks dig scars, but it not ussualy facial scars we are talking about. Borrow a friends helmet, a true friend won't mind a little bit of sweat in his helmet, heck, you have probably kissed his sister already anyway. Good luck.
Some tracks don't even tech on T&T nights let alone make you wear a helmet. I know a particular 10 second car(not mine) that runs at our local track with no cage. My Son's V6 turbo car runs 11.0's and doesn't have a cage. That's the only time he can run it. He does wear a helmet.

R

·
0 Posts
My Son's V6 turbo car runs 11.0's and doesn't have a cage. That's the only time he can run it. He does wear a helmet.
He would probably go 10.80's if he install a cage.....

But with regards to safety he needs a cage.....

Get on him dad.......

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I know i need a cage... but i dont want one! lol The money just hasnt been there lately to get a cage. I havent run my car since opening day in march. Mayb someday ill get one, def with the swing out doors so i could use it on the street. I hate crawing over dads bar to get into the car. Its a pita!!!

R

·
0 Posts
I know i need a cage... but i dont want one! lol The money just hasnt been there lately to get a cage. I havent run my car since opening day in march. Mayb someday ill get one, def with the swing out doors so i could use it on the street. I hate crawing over dads bar to get into the car. Its a pita!!!

I have swingouts the deal i made with the wife she paid for the cage......:gringreen

It is a PITA ......

You will wish you had one if ever meet Mr.Wall upclose.....:)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
im sure you are right about that. I have driven my car once since march. So unless the wall travels all the way from bowling green to the shop i wont have that problem anytime soon!!!!!

R

·
0 Posts
im sure you are right about that. I have driven my car once since march. So unless the wall travels all the way from bowling green to the shop i wont have that problem anytime soon!!!!!
you make a good point......:gringreen

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.