Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to determine if i have an issue with my sync system. I have to repeat commands 2-3 times before they register. IS there an easier way to connect to USB other than having to speak to the sync system?

Nobody who i speak to using the bluetooth tethering can hear me, i have to literally YELL and people still complain that i sound like i am in a tunnel. Is this normal?question.gif

·
Banned
2,225 Posts
Are your windows up when using it? I find it works best if I speak to it in a normal voice, clearly enunciating my words. But, yes it's not perfect.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I am trying to determine if i have an issue with my sync system. I have to repeat commands 2-3 times before they register. IS there an easier way to connect to USB other than having to speak to the sync system?

Nobody who i speak to using the bluetooth tethering can hear me, i have to literally YELL and people still complain that i sound like i am in a tunnel. Is this normal?question.gif
LOL....if i was your passenger i would have to strangle you.

C

·
0 Posts
LOL....if i was your passenger i would have to strangle you.

LMAO!!!! OMG!! lol. (do you understand the words........????) Are your friends fighting for the longest straw when deciding who's riding with you? JK.

·
Registered
719 Posts

Mine works very well speaking at a normal volume. It sounds like your sync has a problem. I'd PM deysha if I were you.

·
Administrator
13,260 Posts
My current car seems Ok, but my V6 had a few quirks, such as I would say clearly "Play artist AC/DC" & she would come back with "Playing Montovani" or some such thing wtf.gifquestion.gif I guess she had her own preferences in musicribbin.gif

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
When I had my 11 GT/CS it had sync and it never understood the words coming out of my mouth not matter what tone or volume used... and I maybe from the southwest and it is not that southern of an accent.
The POS now I have doesn't have sync... hell the rear view mirror looks like it is out of a 74 gold LTD...

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
mine is a bit flaky also . . . sometimes she understands me perfectly, sometimes she comes up with stuff that is completely off the wall

I find that talking louder does not always help, also speaking slowly does not always help . . . normal volume, normal speed, with good enunciation seems to be the best . . . but doesn't always work.

F

·
0 Posts

Mine works very well speaking at a normal volume. It sounds like your sync has a problem. I'd PM deysha if I were you.
mine is a bit flaky also . . . sometimes she understands me perfectly, sometimes she comes up with stuff that is completely off the wall

I find that talking louder does not always help, also speaking slowly does not always help . . . normal volume, normal speed, with good enunciation seems to be the best . . . but doesn't always work.
Thanks for the mention, Grok! But, these guys should get in contact with our awesome FordIVTteam member, Kim. She will be able to help you with more info about this.

Deysha

·
Registered
513 Posts
I already have a girlfriend who doesnt listen to me, last thing I need is the same **** from the car. Happy I got a base lol

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
My Sync seems to work OK. Now Bluetooth is another matter. My wife won't talk to me if I call her using it. She can barely hear me over the background noise. I don't know what background noise she is talking about. Windows up, radio off, A/C fan on low, just cruising.

Rob

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
The trick is to is to speak EXACTLY like a robot. With the tech package it's MUCH easier to just use the touch screen.

Now to be honest, my car can only understand me if it's between 1500 and 2200rpms. If I try to talk to it revved any higher my voiced is completely drowned out by the engine sound track.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Official Ford Rep
433 Posts

Hi Phee,

This is definitely not normal. Try performing a master reset to your SYNC system: press the PHONE button > scroll using your SEEK ARROWS until you see SYSTEM SETTINGS (If you see CONNECTING, scroll to RETURN and press OK first) > OK > ADVANCED > OK > MASTER RESET > OK > OK. This will clear out any saved data and return your SYNC system to the default settings.

If this doesn't resolve the concern, it is most likely an issue with your microphone. Your dealership will need to assist if that is the case. The dealership may want to replicate the issue. If it only happens while the vehicle is in motion, make sure they know that.

My current car seems Ok, but my V6 had a few quirks, such as I would say clearly "Play artist AC/DC" & she would come back with "Playing Montovani" or some such thing wtf.gifquestion.gif I guess she had her own preferences in musicribbin.gif
Hi Grok and kenv,

I'm glad to hear that you two are enjoying your SYNC systems. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have SYNC related questions/concerns. :)

Hi JBert,

Are you noticing that Samantha (the SYNC lady) has trouble with specific commands or random ones?

My Sync seems to work OK. Now Bluetooth is another matter. My wife won't talk to me if I call her using it. She can barely hear me over the background noise. I don't know what background noise she is talking about. Windows up, radio off, A/C fan on low, just cruising.

Rob
Hello RoboStang,

Which kind of phone are you connecting to your system? Do you have any other phone's paired to SYNC?

Kim

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tried all the resets and the prompts register quickly but people still can't hear me well.

·
Official Ford Rep
433 Posts
Tried all the resets and the prompts register quickly but people still can't hear me well.
If you have any other phones you can test, try connecting them to see if others have trouble hearing you on different devices as well. If they are still having trouble hearing you, I suggest taking it into the dealership.

Kim

·
Registered
69 Posts
Don't listen to the Ford rep. They will just make you hate Ford more when you go into the Ford service shop with your hopes up that the dealership will be helpful. Sync is just a sick joke. I stopped using it after I called 12 different people at 530 am when I was trying to call my partner at work to let him know there was an accident and I would be late. His name is Roy. I called Paula, Patty, Christina, Julie, Brian, Butch, Frank, Lance, Francis, Workstation 1, Workstation 2, and Ameci Pizza. I don't know how "call Roy" = os sounds like "Workstation" but no one was happy Sync called to wake them up. The mobile applications work part time and SYNC is incapable of hanging the phone up or ending a call until the connection is made and the phone rings on the other end.

I purchased my car used as certified from a ford dealer but the frustration created by SYNC made want to return the car. Funny how one section of Ford totally screws over all the other sections. The actual car is great but spending 20k on a car only to have the stereo, bluetooth and phone not work as it should is frustrating. It turns customer service into liars over something they cannot fix and cannot control. In fairness the dealership did get it to function. The problem being both times I went through the run around of the dealership and moving at their stupid slow speed, all the problems were back by the end of the day. I've reset it, swapped phones with my wife, tried with and without phone book etc, etc. If I did not work in crappy areas I would spend the money on a nice Kenwood head unit but for me that is asking for uninvited guests to help themselves. Even thieves don't want the SYNC units.

I feel your pain but the last step is acceptance! flaghalf.gif Don't let Ford ruin a great car because they decided to not to spend the extra ten or twenty dollars on each to do SYNC right. It isn't worth it. I went through all avenues Ford told me to like a good soldier and I just ended up being pissed at Ford for all the lip service and time wasted for nothing. I know it is not the answer you want to hear, but once you resolve yourself to the idea that replacement is the only solution you can get back to enjoying why you bought the car in the first place. (Assuming you did not buy the car for the SYNC function only! ) What I did do is go to cellphoneshop.net to get a bluetooth earpiece so I could look like my dad driving around in his car...

·
Registered
719 Posts
Don't listen to the Ford rep. They will just make you hate Ford more when you go into the Ford service shop with your hopes up that the dealership will be helpful. Sync is just a sick joke. I stopped using it after I called 12 different people at 530 am when I was trying to call my partner at work to let him know there was an accident and I would be late. His name is Roy. I called Paula, Patty, Christina, Julie, Brian, Butch, Frank, Lance, Francis, Workstation 1, Workstation 2, and Ameci Pizza. I don't know how "call Roy" = os sounds like "Workstation" but no one was happy Sync called to wake them up. The mobile applications work part time and SYNC is incapable of hanging the phone up or ending a call until the connection is made and the phone rings on the other end.

I purchased my car used as certified from a ford dealer but the frustration created by SYNC made want to return the car. Funny how one section of Ford totally screws over all the other sections. The actual car is great but spending 20k on a car only to have the stereo, bluetooth and phone not work as it should is frustrating. It turns customer service into liars over something they cannot fix and cannot control. In fairness the dealership did get it to function. The problem being both times I went through the run around of the dealership and moving at their stupid slow speed, all the problems were back by the end of the day. I've reset it, swapped phones with my wife, tried with and without phone book etc, etc. If I did not work in crappy areas I would spend the money on a nice Kenwood head unit but for me that is asking for uninvited guests to help themselves. Even thieves don't want the SYNC units.

I feel your pain but the last step is acceptance! flaghalf.gif Don't let Ford ruin a great car because they decided to not to spend the extra ten or twenty dollars on each to do SYNC right. It isn't worth it. I went through all avenues Ford told me to like a good soldier and I just ended up being pissed at Ford for all the lip service and time wasted for nothing. I know it is not the answer you want to hear, but once you resolve yourself to the idea that replacement is the only solution you can get back to enjoying why you bought the car in the first place. (Assuming you did not buy the car for the SYNC function only! ) What I did do is go to cellphoneshop.net to get a bluetooth earpiece so I could look like my dad driving around in his car...
Harsh man! This isn't a very helpful post, it's just an unrestrained RANT! I believe you are having a terrible experience, but it doesn't warrant your unhelpful attack on SYNC. There are four FORDS in my immediate family from a 2009 Lincoln to a couple of 2013 F150s and everyone loves Sync. It is very useful.

Apart from seeking help from the Sync website, I recommend printing the sheet of common verbal commands from the PDF manual and refer to them and try them out in the car. That will help a lot. Also I've found the tags aren't always what you think they are in the address book and on the MP3's, so be sure of those. If I'm not sure what the tag on an MP3 is, I use the verbal command "What's Playing" and I am often amused or surprised at what sync reads off the tag, but I know what to ask to play for the next time.

·
Official Ford Rep
433 Posts

Hi fullsail,

It sounds like you may be experiencing a different issue than Phee. I understand that you’re frustrated and I’m not here to pressure you. If you are still looking for answers, I’d be happy to see if there are any other options to get these concerns resolved. If you’re interested, send me a PM with your name, VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealership information.

Kim

1 - 20 of 56 Posts