Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my neighborhood someone is selling a 95 with 181k miles on it. Body looks good and and it has a 5 speed with a new clutch. I want to buy just to drive til it dies. Would a car with that mileage be worth it for let's say $800 bucks? They are asking $1200 but I laugh at that. I am new to mustang and do not know anything about them. This would be my third car, last two cars were a 95 & 99 BMW 540i. So I am used to high miles and older cars. Just never this high. What should I look for if I were to seriously consider making an offer? This would also be my first manual car and I feel like for less than a grand at least I can use it to learn standerd... Am I over my head here or could I actually have at least a year or too of fun with it? I don't work since I'm going back to studying and will only use to go out with friends and 250 mile trips to my moms country home.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
1995 is possible the worst year for the V6. Why buy a car like that to drive so much? Make sure you get AAA.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wow really!?! What's up with that year? Look I'm not gonna sugar coat it. I have 3 grand to my name and maybe 2 more from my parents taxes which I don't want to take from them. The cheap parts plus still being a bit fun is what is attracting me to American and Mustang... What years are good and what is the max mileage I should look for?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Well there is no "good" car you can buy for cheep. I have an 02 v6 that has 187000 miles on it and it still runs strong. Like what b1lk1 said id avoid that 95. Honestly anything that is 94-98 v6 wise is a big no no in my opinion. They all have head gasket issues. 99-04 they fixed that issue and they also put down more hp compaired to the 140hp 95 3.8. About 190ish hp for a 99-04 stock theoretically better on gas mileage. I get about 16ish mpg in my 02 that has had some work on it and i might lay into it too much to be honest. And for the question about that $5000 09 v6.. What happened to that car that made it that cheep? Motor fixing to go out? Wrecked? Bent frame? Some drive train issue? Either way id look into something that is a little more reliable than those two options.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I mixed up the price on that 09. Anyways how are the 2000-2001 convertibles. One 2000 in my area is at 112k for $2800.
Also I heard something about avoiding 03 coupes... Anything you guys can inform me about that?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Go for it. If you like that convert then get one. Just remember to have some sort of covered area to keep that top from rotting.

Post pics of the ride if you decide you want to buy it and we can talk some more

·
Registered
112 Posts
Bought my 01 v6 auto for $1800....170k miles. Personally, id do 99-up just for the split port advantage....or a GT...but yea, the v6's will be cheaper

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well there is no "good" car you can buy for cheep.
Well that's just not true ;)

Also, if your finances are so dire, perhaps you shouldn't be looking at Mustangs. Buy a hack and once you're finished studying and have spare cash buy a good Mustang :)

Maybe another old BMW mile muncher would be more suitable. Sometimes you can't have your cake and eat it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well my finances are not all bad(this is just my chosen budget as I need to repair my gaming laptop and want enough left over for a sound system in the car)... Only reason the BMW went away was bad MPG and very high parts cost. I am 6'5" and I tried a lot of those cheap tuner friendly Japanese cars... I could not fit. It's between A v6 mustang, Mini Cooper(so much room!!!), gen 7 Celica GTS(seat so back I have to reach for pedals) or VW Golf GTI(haven't tried to fit yet but it's German soooo).

·
Super Moderator
40,071 Posts
Go with the V6 Mustang.I have a 95 V6 5 speed,160k+ miles and it has been a great car and my g/f drives it every day.I also have a 2001 V6 5 speed,120k miles, and it is also a great car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
95 was sold. For the best I guess. I think I am just going to use the 3-5 grand for a down payment on a newer model. Maybe a 05 or so. Anyways can't wait, found a lot of nice semi low mile models.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts