Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many more miles can I get out of my 1998, 6 cylinder Mustang? It currently has 70,000 miles on it as of 4/5/08.

I'm the orginal owner. I change the oil regularly. I don't race it. I don't tow anything. Is it likely to get 170,000 miles on this car, on the original engine and transmission?

What is the average number of miles the 1998- 6 cylinder mustang typically gets on the original engine and transmission?

·
Registered
824 Posts
How many more miles can I get out of my 1998, 6 cylinder Mustang? It currently has 70,000 miles on it as of 4/5/08.

I'm the orginal owner. I change the oil regularly. I don't race it. I don't tow anything. Is it likely to get 170,000 miles on this car, on the original engine and transmission?

What is the average number of miles the 1998- 6 cylinder mustang typically gets on the original engine and transmission?
it all depends on how well you continue to maintain it..treat her right and she has potential to last well over 200k miles...

·
Super Moderator
40,151 Posts
welcome to the site,enjoy!!!! ya,as above said....

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
98's were a weird year - it's going to depend on your head gaskets. as a preventative measure you shoul;d swap for a corteco, before they fail, when you won't have to worry about warping or cracking the heads.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yeah, you don't have much to worrie about, as long as you treat her right. She'll go way beyond 200k. My counter gave out at 187,241 miles a year or more ago, but the car has more than 200k for sure. I haven't had any problems yet. And like Shiner said, I would change over to a synthetic oil also if you haven't done so already.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Switching over to fully synthetic oil is one of the smartest decisions anyone can possibly make.

Regular check-ups for her, she'll run forever.

·
Registered
154 Posts
i have a 94 .... stock except plugs wires and cai.....gonna be changing but i got 278 xxx......as of now:p....dunno if it still has stock head gaskets...but...she still has get up and go for a v6...........will let u know if anything goes wrong with her in the future...and at what mileage

·
Registered
899 Posts
i have a 94 .... stock except plugs wires and cai.....gonna be changing but i got 278 xxx......as of now:p....dunno if it still has stock head gaskets...but...she still has get up and go for a v6...........will let u know if anything goes wrong with her in the future...and at what mileage
I too have a 94 and she is still running strong (for the most part). I don't have as many miles as you do, but she isn't a spring chicken. ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 97 and it has 140,000 on it and Im the second owner and I have had it about 7 months now and havent had any problems out of it .

·
Registered
9 Posts
In regards to switching to synthetic...I was always under the impression that in higher mileage vehicles that have always used regular oil, some erosion happens and creates little holes and the little deposits that regular oil leaves behind is sometimes the only thing that is kind of plugging these holes up. So when people with higher mileage engines turn around and put in synthetic...well doesn't the synthetic get rid of deposits? So doesn't this make the holes all of a sudden a problem?

I could be wrong, but I've heard this from more than one reliable source?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 1998 has 274, 983 miles on the odometer...which stopped working almost a year ago.

I've always used synthetic oil...and have had NO repairs...ever...except for replacing consumables...air/oil filters, spark plugs, tires, brakes, etc.

One of these days, I'll replace the odometer gear, so I can monitor my mileage again... :)

·
Registered
6,158 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
my 1997 v6 mustang has almost 230,000 miles on it and is still running great!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 1999 Mustang Convertible and it has about 206,000 Miles on it. I just started doing some work on it to remove the rust underneath it. The people before me didn't take care of the frame and body that well. But the engine runs fine.

Just treat it nicely and the car should last you as long as you want.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We have a 1997 3.8L V6 auto that we bought 2 years ago and when we bought it odometer had quit working at 155,532 miles and was driven for 5 years like that and they estimated it has 250,000-275,000 miles on it when we bought it and I am sure we have put another 40-50,000 on it.

It is original motor and transmission neither of which has been rebuilt or worked on internally.

In the 2 years that we have had it we put a new radiator and fan, tires, oil changes every 3 or 4 months (well over 3,000 I am sure each time), thermostat, brakes, and 1 rear brake caliber.

It runs like a top to this day!!!!!

We are going to see just how many years it will hold up without a major issue. It may not last until the end of today or it could be years from now!!

Heck I have had 4 brand new cars for my wife that had more trouble in the first year than the 97 mustang. Of those 3 cars ( all Chrysler's) 3 where lemons that the gave us money to trade them in on a new Chrysler product and the next to where lemons also and the same thing happened expect the last time they took the car back and payed us back including the interest what we had paid on the one. The 4th was an Impala that the dealership took back because of all the issues and that GM was no help in solving the issue.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts