Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iam thinking of buying The MDS 6AL and the disturber i lost to a z28 buy a car and i was wondering if i get msd will i beat him??? But is the MSD wa waste of money??Let me know thanks.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
MUSTANG Sal 87 said:
iam thinking of buying The MDS 6AL and the disturber i lost to a z28 buy a car and i was wondering if i get msd will i beat him??? But is the MSD wa waste of money??Let me know thanks.
It will help with spark at high rpms. You may gain 3-6 hp, on an otherwise stock car with stock cams, valves, etc. and your throttle response will improve, as will your mpg.

It's more useful with a racing cam, where it can pick up 7-16 hp, depending on application. the higher the RPMs the more useful it becomes.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Multiple sparks can only occur below 3000 RPM. How does a CD ignition module help at high RPM?

The factory ignition system is VERY good for a non-forced induction application. A CD ignition will gain you NOTHING if the engine is in a proper state of tune.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
FoxChassis said:
Multiple sparks can only occur below 3000 RPM. How does a CD ignition module help at high RPM?

The factory ignition system is VERY good for a non-forced induction application. A CD ignition will gain you NOTHING if the engine is in a proper state of tune.
It helps in 2 ways.

1) At low RPMs you can run a more radical cam, without stalling, etc, and make more power from complete combustion using the cam.

2) MSD provides MORE INTENSE spark at higher RPMS, allowing for more complete combustion with overlap.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Capacitive Discharge = multiple (below 3000 RPM), quick and short signal(s) to the coil
Inductive Discharge = single, slow and long signal to the coil

CD has an advantage (over ID) at high RPM solely due to dwell (saturation) time to the coil. Has nothing to do with spark intensity. Both provide more than an adeqaute signal (spark) to the coil.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
FoxChassis said:
Capacitive Discharge = multiple (below 3000 RPM), quick and short signal(s) to the coil
Inductive Discharge = single, slow and long signal to the coil

CD has an advantage (over ID) at high RPM solely due to dwell (saturation) time to the coil. Has nothing to do with spark intensity. Both provide more than an adeqaute signal (spark) to the coil.
yeah, with a mild or stock cam.

·
Registered
9 Posts
if you have a stock car dont waste your time. It want help enough for you to tell a difference.my.My car has over 400 hp on the gas with stock ignition.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Same as mr49south, I ran my 95 GT on a 125 shot of nitrous before bolting up a accel cap and rotor, msd 6A ignition, msd blaster coil, and taylor spiro pro wires. I did not feel any gain, and neither did my track times or mph.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Allright all iam missing in my setup is spark and cam so u guys think its a waste of money?

·
Registered
579 Posts
This has been tested over and over and if your not running Nitrous a Blower or High Compression you won't notice anything.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
NoSlow5oh said:
Same as mr49south, I ran my 95 GT on a 125 shot of nitrous before bolting up a accel cap and rotor, msd 6A ignition, msd blaster coil, and taylor spiro pro wires. I did not feel any gain, and neither did my track times or mph.
Are you running the same cam?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Bone stock past the air filter up to the H-pipe.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
NoSlow5oh said:
Bone stock past the air filter up to the H-pipe.
That figures.

it's within error, 3-6 hp.

The only way you'll notice a difference is with a radical cam.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
No noticeable differance with my setup either. Maybe on a dyno.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a 91 GT, bone stock except for the K&N air filter. I put on the 6AL and it improved gas mileage, and keeps the O2 sensor, egr valve, cats and other emission components cleaner because it burns off more gas, creating more h.p. without wasting fuel. Why? Because it sparks 6 times instead of the usual ONE!!! This makes it an obvious no-brainer that if you want your car to run better, add the MSD box. Some cars will have a more noticable difference. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
There are too many factors relating to fuel mileage to say a CD ignition module was soley responsible for an improvement.

Simply switching brands or grades under the same brand can have a dramatic effect. Not to mention driving habits, weather, different fuel blends for different seasons, etc., etc.

Please, somebody, post a dyno graph that shows an improvement after the ONLY change made was a CD ignition module. You can have any combination of parts imaginable. Just show me the improvement with a CD ignition module.

·
Registered
23 Posts
nykmad said:
I have a 91 GT, bone stock except for the K&N air filter. I put on the 6AL and it improved gas mileage, and keeps the O2 sensor, egr valve, cats and other emission components cleaner because it burns off more gas, creating more h.p. without wasting fuel. Why? Because it sparks 6 times instead of the usual ONE!!! This makes it an obvious no-brainer that if you want your car to run better, add the MSD box. Some cars will have a more noticable difference. Good luck.
BUMP for this man!!! :worship

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have access to a Dyno and never has a improvement in HP been logged with only a ignition box at my location. He could see a improvement at the bottom end but usually that is because people are using a 10 year old coil and 25k miles on the plugs. I have seen even when installing a MSD the power to go down and removing the unit increased power at different rpms but never made a difference at WOT numbers.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
nykmad said:
That can be true with bad gas, and non synthetic fuel.

but on a stock engine, with low miles since new or rebuild, you won't notice much. It's a foundational piece, that will only make a difference with a radical cam.

IF you are planning on upgrading the valvetrain to run at higher RPMs, and/or running lots of boost, then get the MSD or Jacobs electronics, or whatever.

If you're running a near stock combination, use the money elsewhere.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
allright then when i get a serious cam with a 550 lift or somthin ill think about the msd. Thanks for the info guys

1 - 20 of 22 Posts