Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 2005 GT automatic has check engine light on and the code is "idles low". The previous owner installed a K&N cool air intake and never had tuning done which I believe is reason for this.

Place that does the tuning wants me to just buy a tuner for $400 and do it but I honestly have NO need for a $400 tuner as I never plan to race or modify my vehicle much past stock.(I baught a GT, not a cobra, whats the point of even trying with a 4.6?)

What does a quick tuning(I assume it would be quick?) normally cost?

Sorry if this is a stupid question I am coming from owning old 90s vehicles so all this is new to me.:worship

·
Registered
377 Posts
The handheld tuners generally run at roughly $350-400. Tuners can be used for a lot, they can check and clear engine codes. If you're going to be doing ANY mods at all, you're most likely going to need a tuner. At American Muscle you can get free tunes for life and all it will cost is $400, then you can add and remove mods as you please and just keep having them write you new tunes.

Tuners aren't just for cars that are going to be raced or are heavily modded. They are great for just getting out hidden performance in the stock tune even if you don't mod much. I just bought a CAI and tuner and I can definitely tell there's a difference.

The K&N cold air intake doesn't require a tune normally so I don't know if that is your problem. If you do buy a tuner, you could definitely get more performance out of that CAI.

By the way, Once you start modding, you'll catch the mod bug and won't be able to quit :gringreen. That's what happened to me.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I think you should do it, it makes the car much more drivable, for example when you step on the gas normally you have a lag, with the tuner the car has no lag and speeds up at whatever rate you are pushing your foot down, on top of that, you will actually get better gas milage, i have a stick shift and my car is getting 60 more miles to the gallon and the car is actually being driven at faster speeds now haha. It really is a cool thing if your a modder or not, its something anyone will enjoy you should get it imo

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
the only codes that are thrown with any air intake mod without a tune are usually bank 1 and 2 lean codes not "idles low" also, as someone pointed out, the K and N should not cause a code, UNLESS, I have heard that some people will oil the ever loving crap out of those filters and cause the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor to become oily or dirty. that can cause issues, although im not sure what code it would throw. pull it out of the side of the inlet tube and clean it with a soft cloth. USE NO LIQUIDS TO CLEAN IT except maybe a very tiny bit of alcohol if it is real bad.

i really think there is another prob causing that.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The handheld tuners generally run at roughly $350-400. Tuners can be used for a lot, they can check and clear engine codes. If you're going to be doing ANY mods at all, you're most likely going to need a tuner. At American Muscle you can get free tunes for life and all it will cost is $400, then you can add and remove mods as you please and just keep having them write you new tunes.

Tuners aren't just for cars that are going to be raced or are heavily modded. They are great for just getting out hidden performance in the stock tune even if you don't mod much. I just bought a CAI and tuner and I can definitely tell there's a difference.

The K&N cold air intake doesn't require a tune normally so I don't know if that is your problem. If you do buy a tuner, you could definitely get more performance out of that CAI.

By the way, Once you start modding, you'll catch the mod bug and won't be able to quit :gringreen. That's what happened to me.
Thats what worries me. I went from a stock YJ wrangler to a Jurassic Park jeep with 33s and a 4" lift in less than a year and a half :/

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the only codes that are thrown with any air intake mod without a tune are usually bank 1 and 2 lean codes not "idles low" also, as someone pointed out, the K and N should not cause a code, UNLESS, I have heard that some people will oil the ever loving crap out of those filters and cause the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor to become oily or dirty. that can cause issues, although im not sure what code it would throw. pull it out of the side of the inlet tube and clean it with a soft cloth. USE NO LIQUIDS TO CLEAN IT except maybe a very tiny bit of alcohol if it is real bad.

i really think there is another prob causing that.
Another user suggested this also. Oh boy, hope I did not just buy a lemon :/ Everything else seems to be ok about it.

I still may get a tuner it just seems to be alot of money to spend right now considering I already have around $1000(for a college kid thats alot) into just getting it back to speed.

@ Stevostang
I assume you mean 6mpg, if you are getting 60+mpg out of a mustang I have $20,000 for you lmfao that would be nice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts