Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a guy I ran into has a set of TFS 170 heads. They look good internally but outsides are *&%$*^. Comes with correct rods. Heres pics

DSC00313.jpg picture by blkturboedneon - Photobucket

Oh and they are nwer than 5 years if they say tfs on the side and older if not. Also the TFS 170 heads for $999 do not come with a spring upgrade any different than the older ones. Thanks.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
As is, $500 at the most. Looks like they've been in the storeroom for a while, with cobwebs on them.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I guees it depends on the year dont see any stamps. Local shop says $80 to check for cracks etc. Then $160 plus parts if it needs valve job. The stems lok good so the valves are probably ok but ddefinetly needs a dip. IMO $500 may be too much on that old of a set I would assume they need springs.

R

·
0 Posts
IMO $500 may be too much on that old of a set I would assume they need springs.
Sometimes an old set works better than a new set.....

just look at me a i have a old set and they work great......:)

I was talking about my canfield heads you degenerates......:smartass:

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL Reg! I kknow but he said they were all original parts. So I would have to asssume the springs are do to be swapped

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Yup, new springs would be best and a good valve job.

I bet those are the first generation Twisted Wedge from the mid 90s, based on how they look and no "Trick Flow" engraving on the ends. That's how my Street Heats are, with no monikers either.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I offered him $400 and told him he could keep the rockers and lifters to sell. Then hed be at $550-600 like he wanted. Guess we will see.

·
Registered
912 Posts
old heads arent always bad, my dad runs a set of first gen dart iron head on his 351 and he makes quite a bit of power.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The fact of it is they are the same heads as the newer style. However the springs have never been replaced thats what Im concerned about.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
I would spend $500 on them and do a new valve job plus you would also get to put the correct springs according to your cam. Also when they are cleaning and prepping the head you can have it milled down some so you have a flat clean surface oh and get some compression and hp:bigthumbsup

R

·
0 Posts
Lol how come no one ever tells ppl on here get canfields they always say trickflow or afr?

#1 canfield is no longer in business john retired a few years ago....

#2 i don't recommend them because if you are lucky enough to find a set they more than average guy wants to put in a set of heads...

#3 Again generally speaking it is just too much cylinder head for the average bolt-on budget build.....

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would spend $500 on them and do a new valve job plus you would also get to put the correct springs according to your cam. Also when they are cleaning and prepping the head you can have it milled down some so you have a flat clean surface oh and get some compression and hp:bigthumbsup

SC app dont need more compression or hp just looking for a good set of heads for the next build.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK he says $500 Im at $475. Not sure if $500 is worth it. I guess if I check the valve seats and they are good then its probably worth it. What to spray to check them and what to look for? I know how to check the decking.

R

·
0 Posts
OK he says $500 Im at $475. Not sure if $500 is worth it. I guess if I check the valve seats and they are good then its probably worth it. What to spray to check them and what to look for? I know how to check the decking.
fluorescent penetrating dye & black light is what i use.....

you really should have them magna flux.......

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah gettin that done. I told him if they check out I pay the $80 if they are cracked he pays the bill? When using the dye should there be any seepage at all?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.