Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey just for back ground I'm 16 have a job and a car.. and have always loved mustangs and knowing more and more about them, anyways there is a 87 5.0 gt 5 speed for sale. it's in good condition. a sony stereo and stock except for flows. 112,000 miles on it. engine is strong and no problems. and garage kept. intereor is nice also, not too much wear. but it does have some body damage front bumper, hood.. and wouldn't hurt to have a new rear bumper. nice paint though (black):winks and I test drove it. nice. cause I'm like :drool: anyways he's wanting $4,000 and this fox body style is my fav and hard to find around here. and he might go down.. plus he is a friend so I know he's telling the truth.. please give me your thoughts. I know it's a lil high but I might beable to get 2 grand out of my car so ya..

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
It depends on where you are. If you are in a big city, they tend to be cheaper.
If it's nice and tight, everything works on it, and the only issue is the body damage (as long as it's light), then he's probably not too far off. For four grand, he should be able to demonstrate adequate fuel pressure, and no EEC codes.
Then again, if you're way out in a sparcely populated region, the price may be more in line.
I got mine in April of '03, for $2500. It ran reliably, but needed work. It also had several dings.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Sounds a little pricey to me, but then again, these cars are selling for more now thatn they have in the past couple of years from what i see. They are becoming rare finally. I paid $3900 for mine with no dents, pretty good stock paint (slightly faded but virtually no probs), pristine interior, decent tires, and it ran like a top. It did leak oil though and I knew that. It turned out it was throwing an EGR code that i still cannot figure out, because the EGR is good and so is the EVP, (must be in the wiring to the ECU) and soon after I purchased it all 8 injectors began leaking like hell, so they had to be replaced, before i passed out while driving. I think I paid a little too much, but mine had NO body damage and thats what i was going for, because I didnt have the money to fix that and everything else I knew I could do myself. Good Luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey plus I forget to tell I was going to replace bumber and hood anyways. and the tires only have 300 miles on them. plus I do live in a smaller city around 75,000 pop.. anyways thanks

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Sounds high as hell to me. You are going to end up spending around $250-400 getting it converted to mass air later on.

Do you have any pics?

I would have them do a compression test to find out if any cylinders are weak/dead.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how much should the compression run? and how hard is it to do? or would a place like o'reily do it? thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
mustang_happy said:
hey just for back ground I'm 16 have a job and a car.. and have always loved mustangs and knowing more and more about them, anyways there is a 87 5.0 gt 5 speed for sale. it's in good condition. a sony stereo and stock except for flows. 112,000 miles on it. engine is strong and no problems. and garage kept. intereor is nice also, not too much wear. but it does have some body damage front bumper, hood.. and wouldn't hurt to have a new rear bumper. nice paint though (black):winks and I test drove it. nice. cause I'm like :drool: anyways he's wanting $4,000 and this fox body style is my fav and hard to find around here. and he might go down.. plus he is a friend so I know he's telling the truth.. please give me your thoughts. I know it's a lil high but I might beable to get 2 grand out of my car so ya..
$4000 is to much for a 112,000 mile speed density model. Pass on it. You want mass air, trust me. You''l spend a fortune converting it.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
i wouldnt say youll spend a FORTUNE.
you can junk yard the parts, or you might get lucky and find some schmuck with a wrecked MAF 5.0 and get the parts cheap without him knowing any better. or you can get them used off ebay.

200 minimum for MAF conversion id say though.

either way, $4000 sounds high to me as well.
i paid $1500 for 88 Speed Density LX, and it has nearly fresh paint, OR h-pipe and flowmasters. i would pass. you shouldnt have any trouble finding another 5.0

look for an 89 (MAF + forged internals)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Pass on this one. Even if everything runs great on the car, even if the only major problem is dents and bumps and scrapes on the exterior, pass on this. $4,000 is too much for a Speed-Density with that mileage and so few upgrades.

Speed-Density models are not as bad as everyone puts them out to be, but they can't compare to the Mass-Air Flow models that the 89+ (88 California) Mustangs.

I'd agree with Systronic, as well. Look for an 89-93.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Pass on that one. I paid $4,500 for my 92 lx with 100,000 on the odometer.

·
Registered
365 Posts
craZhal said:
What is the advantage of a MAF over a Speed-Density?
More accurate air intake readings, which is essential if you get into some mods.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I use ebay as a price guide, just bought a 87 coupe with a modded 351w, built c4,3.73's, custom paint, fiberglass hood and extra wheels with slicks mounted for 3300. 89000mi. 175mi. drive one way to get it but... Of course when I got home and looked in the paper there was a 91 Gt w/ a kenne bell sc for 4200, but hey, someone else will be happy too. I suggest sitting down with your buddy and look at what comparible cars are selling for, if your willing to take some time I promise you can find a better deal than what he's offering now.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
if you want to change your cam, you need MAF.
MAF also gets slightly better gas mileage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Keep searching

Dont give up!! I think 4,000 is not to bad but there is far better deals if you just search and take your time. Look on e-bay there is many good deals on there all the time. I found a 92 gt with 90k for 2500 in Tucson just about 2 weeks ago. I passed on that because I had found an even better deal on a black 91 lx coupe. Dart block, AFR heads 205, x 303 cam, Novi2000, Viper spec t-56, Forged internals, GT-40 intake, Alum. drive shaft, spec stage 3 clutch, Aero 1000lph fuel system, AEM ecu, 60 pound injecters, Rear sump tank, and many suspension upgrades. This was more then I was looking for but for the price to build it was a deal to me at 11k.
There is like a line in the fox body selling world. If you are looking to spend 2-5k your going to get a mostly stock car with some few and far between that are already modded nicely. If you save and spend 5-8k you can find a low 12 second car. That all depends on if you want to "build" it yourself or find one done. I have done it both ways and because I dont keep anything long its cheaper to find something close to what I want and finish it off. Plus you dont loose as much money when or if you sell.

My other car I bought from my Step father it is a white 1991 lx hatch with solid black interior. Thats kinda rare the white on solid balck. Its a 5 speed car and was 100% stock and completly mint. I gave 3000 for the car only because I promised to never sell it. I once had a kid and his dad knock on my door and offer me 5k for it. It was hard to turn down but a promise is a promise. I am going to leave it fairly stock aside from the cobra-r brake kit, suspension, and alittle mild motor work. Its a nice quite fun car that is reliable which I like.

Good luck with your quest I will keep my eye out for you and send you some good deals if I find any. Where are you Which state and how far are you willing to drive for a good deal?

·
Registered
10 Posts
did alittle searching for ya

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-Ford-Mustang-LX-5-0-HARD-2-LET-GO_W0QQitemZ4616744756QQcategoryZ6236QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
This one is 3500 ^
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990-FORD-MUSTANG-LX-COUPE_W0QQitemZ4615963342QQcategoryZ6236QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
This is a coupe for buy now at 2800 thats a deal for a straight coupe!! ^

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BADASS-RED-MUSTANG-NOTCHBACK_W0QQitemZ4616762534QQcategoryZ6236QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Another notch with some work for 5,000^

These are some I found real quick that have low buy it now prices. You could very easily get one for much cheaper it you just look around. If your father or anyone else would help you drive one home your all set. I would take a look at the white notch myself. The notch cars are alittle more rare and worth more money.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.