Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
02 Vortech Roush stage II
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just signed up for this site, so excuse my amateurism! I own a 2002 Mustang GT with a full Roush stage II kit on it. Bought it like that. That includes the ground effects, decals, 18x9 wheels in the front, and 18x10 in the rear, catless side exhaust with BBK headers and off-road H-pipe, Spintech SCS333 mufflers (I replaced the quieter magnaflows) CAI, and the rear wing. That's all I can really think of right now so the car has minimal internal mods. I'm thinking about upgrading a lot of things soon and I want to know if it will really be worth the money. (possibly almost $1000 or more worth of mods) So to begin I would like to change the coils, injectors, plugs, get a larger BBK throttle intake, and slap a diablosport tuner on to calibrate all the changes correctly. With all of the listed modifications, what does my power increase look like? Should I do all this at once, or spread them out over a course of time? Help and knowledge will be MUCH appreciated, as I've been thinking of doing this for a while. Thanks and I'm loving this forum already! :yelpleased:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Every car is different, so what you'll get is certainly different from car to car. When some of the more savvy people come in they can give you a better guess, but frankly a lot of those are support mods. With an aggressive tune I'd say you can expect 15ish hp all together. And 13 of that would be the tuner.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that's about what I figured... I just want to get as much performance out of my n/a setup until I get a forced induction one. That won't be for a really long while though! So do you think just getting a tuner would be my best bet?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
The coils, injectors, and plugs are fine for now. They are SUPPORTING mods for when you do something else that actually increases the horsepower. They don't ADD horsepower, they SUPPORT it. Do you understand the difference?

What headers are on there? Shorties or Longtubes? A throttle body and plenum combo is a good start. Also, a tuner and rear gears. I'm not sure what suspension upgrades are on the Roushes, but you could always improve the suspension even more.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I totally understand about the "support" now. That makes a lot of sense! And yes I forgot to include that in the mods I do have full Roush suspension on the car. The headers are shorties too. I am really thinking about just getting a TB and new throttle intake, and the tuner. Also, do you recommend 4.10's or 3.73's?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yeah like stated above what kind of headers. If you are getting a throttle body and plenum make sure you stay away from BBK I had 2 of them and both of them sucked my plate kept sticking and it was annoying just not worth the money. Have you thought of some steeper gears if the car does not already have them. They will help a great deal in getting off the line faster. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
386 Posts
4:10s for auto and 3:73 for manual but its all up to you its just a suggestion. 4:10s are way better

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok man that sounds really good. I had another mustang owner tell me that just getting lower rear gears and a tuner makes a night and day difference. I'm sure a good throttle intake would help as well, right? Since you said to stay away from BBK, they have several others like Accufab and Stack Racing I believe from American Muscle. The BBK 78mm seemed a little large for a n/a setup anyway. I really appreciate the help guys! I'm learning a lot!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yeah the gears do wonders I got the 3:73 gears and they made my car feel totally different. I did not count on the fact that now every time i take off fast I burn my tires time for wider tires.:rollgrin:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice!! So I think you sold me on the 3.73's. 4.10's mean more acceleration, but might be a bit too steep for me. About how much do you think a GOOD average install would set me back?

·
Registered
386 Posts
The gears themselves cost $160 and the installation cost around $250-300 that also depends on where you live. Over here in California that is the going price for the install. With new gears your speedometer will be off but with a hand held tuner you will fine. A good tune and gears will make your mustang feel way better on acceleration. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I'm very eager to get this stuff... Can't wait. Thanks for all the help man keep in touch! Sweet car too!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
The Accufab throttle body and plenum combo is highly recommended by a few members on this site.

At least I think it's the Accufab....:headscratch:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will surely upgrade to that one. I've heard there's a lot of flogs with the BBK. Mainly just the throttle sticking...

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
C&L plenum and Accufab 75mm TB(get the gears and tune done first though):bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Get these three and you will be happy you will be wasting your money on the throttle body and plenum at your correct mods right now.
1.Full length sub frame connectors
2.Gears
3.Tuner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.