Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need some help im going to redo my stock 347 and i want to know what you guy think the hp will be around
im go with a ..
fordracing 347stroker kit
e303cam
24lb inj.
corba upper and lower intakes
corba 1.7 roller rockers
stock heads ported and polished
roller timing chain kit
motor bored 30ovr
bbk longtube headers
shorty x pipe
and a sniper tune
thanks for the help

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
That will make around 300 engine hp, but it'll run out of steam because of the stock heads. Put on some aftermarkets and expect to gain around 30-40 hp more, that 347 will need a LOT more airflow capabilities than even ported stock heads can give you. If it's a budget thing, you'll do fine till you upgrade them, you just won't have the max you could be getting. With correct heads, you could expect 350 hp.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks bro ya the guy who is doing it said that it should be in the low 400 but every one is telling me thats wrong but this guy is crazy good make big power with these mustangs in the central valley maybe even 1 of the best so i dont know what to think:headscratch:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Untouched, 275 hp or so max. It would make great torque at low speed, though. With a good port job, and 351W valves, the 302 castings might get 320-340 hp, assuming the fuel and ignition curves are perfect. And the cost to professionally port 302 heads to that level would probably be more than a decent set of aftermarket alum heads.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the stock motor make 215hp, you think every thing im do to the motor is only going to give me 50-60hp:headscratch:

·
Registered
128 Posts
nope. you need to get better flow. its on in the contruction of the heads. stock isn't good. you want big numbers you need better then stock. FLOW:D

·
Registered
477 Posts
is there anything wrong with you motor?? if not i would just throw a top end kit on there. prob make more power anyways and have more rpm too. plus later you cold do a 347 up....cold always do it backward to 347 first and heads later.....i think you wold get more hp now with heads first.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the motor is done im puttin in monday ill just pick up some good heads in a month you two but think i should make over 350 with what im doing

·
Registered
87 Posts
the motor is done im puttin in monday ill just pick up some good heads in a month you two but think i should make over 350 with what im doing
With the stock head castings, 350+ is probably like wishing for a miracle.

The low end torque will be awesome, regardless, because of the stroke on that motor. That's what will make the car leave the line hard.
Also, there's so much power available in any engine that the majority of people don't see, because they didnt find the tuning "sweet spot". If you're not good at tuning the fuel and ignition curves, find somebody who is, and let them really tweak it properly, you'd be shocked at the difference between a motor perfectly in tune and one that just runs "ok".

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks man youv been a big help and yea msxracing is doing my motor and there going to do a mild tune on it untile i brake the new motor in a then retune it, they use a snipertuner and chip

·
Registered
186 Posts
it definitely is possible to make power with stock ported heads. i am a machinist for a living. i don't build engine's for a living but i do have a lot of cnc experiance. i built a 351 for my 91 and used gt40p heads off an explorer. i had 2 good heads and 1 bad head. so i made a fixture to hold the head on the cnc machine and practices on the bad head how much i could open up the ports without breaking into a water jacket. then i wrote a program for the intake ports and a program for the exhaust ports and ran it through the good heads. when i was done i put the motor together with an eagle forged rotating assembly edelbrock cam, the ported p heads, a professional products typhoon 351 intake and 70mm tb 30lb injectors 70mm massair. the car after a few dyno runs made 398 hp and 412lb/ft and this was with the stock p heads. i'm sure it would be very expensive to have that done to a set of heads because of the custom programs and all the time to figure out how big you can go. all i'm getting at is it is possible.luckily i am a machinist and got the heads from some guy on craigslist that i traded an old t5 for. but i did put a good 30 hours into the heads. just something to think about

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.