Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i put 6 quarts of 5w20 in my engine every oil change,but back in the days i heard some guys saying that they ran with a quart low cause that gave them a few more horses.but i know for sure this(4.6)dont like a bit running low in oil,so could then now be better of with a quart more ratter.:scratchchin

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Run whats recommended. If you lose a race because your oil is too high you probably need more mods to conclusively win anyway.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Run the correct amount. The running a quart low was drag racing with a push rod motor. the crank would spin more free than cutting through a full pan of oil. Do not run the oil low. i am guessing we are talking about a 32 vale mod motor?
i think 6 is correct

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
I've run full synthetic in my cobra since day one and 150K miles later I'm happy to report the car runs like the day I got it...

·
Registered
8 Posts
i own a 99 cobra with 172k on it. the car has had religious oil changes i have worked at ford for 7 years and 6-6.5 qts is what the car takes. you run the risk of loosing oil psi due to low oil and the car doesnt like that do to fact that the timing chain tensioners run off oil psi. just get a windage tray.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
gilomach you NEED to do this next oil change, SCRAP that 5W20 and use 5W30, 7 quarts bro, NOT 6 and HELL NO NOT 5, Our heads drain VERY slowly and at High RPM's lots of oil is stuck at the top of the motor, when running 7 quarts only 5 are gonna be in the pan at WOT, with 6-4! I've said this before there has been Numerous tests and picture verification that 7 quarts is the way to go with the stock pan in the 99-04 DOHC's. A Ford engineer ran one of our motors with clear plexi valve covers and oil pan to show how the oil behaves when the motor is turning high rpms.
This is getting to be common knowledge in the SVT World!
Hey gilomach throw in 6.75 quarts 5W30 with an 8 ounce bottle of Militec-1 next oil change. Your a fellow South Florida boy running 5W20? get it out it's TOO Thin!
and venumissvt a Windage tray is TOTALLY Unnecesary on our motors, the crank sits so high up in the block that windage isn't an issue even running 7 quarts, here is picture evidence to prove it. I'll include a pic at 6,7,and 9 quarts in in stock pan (note at 7 quarts the crank scrappers are STILL Exposed!).The crank will be sitting in ZERO oil even when the motor is turned off!:bigthumbsup
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/5651/6quarts.jpg
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/479/7quarts.jpg
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/636/9quarts.jpg

·
Registered
874 Posts
gilomach you NEED to do this next oil change, SCRAP that 5W20 and use 5W30, 7 quarts bro, NOT 6 and HELL NO NOT 5, Our heads drain VERY slowly and at High RPM's lots of oil is stuck at the top of the motor, when running 7 quarts only 5 are gonna be in the pan at WOT, with 6-4! I've said this before there has been Numerous tests and picture verification that 7 quarts is the way to go with the stock pan in the 99-04 DOHC's. A Ford engineer ran one of our motors with clear plexi valve covers and oil pan to show how the oil behaves when the motor is turning high rpms.
This is getting to be common knowledge in the SVT World!
Hey gilomach throw in 6.75 quarts 5W30 with an 8 ounce bottle of Militec-1 next oil change. Your a fellow South Florida boy running 5W20? get it out it's TOO Thin!
and venumissvt a Windage tray is TOTALLY Unnecesary on our motors, the crank sits so high up in the block that windage isn't an issue even running 7 quarts, here is picture evidence to prove it. I'll include a pic at 6,7,and 9 quarts in in stock pan (note at 7 quarts the crank scrappers are STILL Exposed!).The crank will be sitting in ZERO oil even when the motor is turned off!:bigthumbsup
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/5651/6quarts.jpg
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/479/7quarts.jpg
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/636/9quarts.jpg
Someone on here did a thread on this. I remember those pics. After seing that I started running 7 quarts instead of 6 1/2.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
haha yeah that was me yomadmike, it wasn't a thread it was a reply I made sometime ago about a guy asking this same question, the more SVT guys that know this the better!!
And 7 can be done in the 4.6L 2V (they use the same pan)but it really isn't necessary cause the cylinder heads don't have the same behavior.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
174 Posts
5w20 and 5w30 are the same thickness man.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Engine teardown tests were done on a number of 4.6L motors and it was noted that the ones running 5W20 had more scored bearings and signs of wear than those with 5W30, I'm just sharing what that I've been schooled on so just run your 5W20 it's your choice, I don't know of Any high tech Modular engine builders recommending 5W20? And at operating temps the former is a THINNER viscosity!

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Engine teardown tests were done on a number of 4.6L motors and it was noted that the ones running 5W20 had more scored bearings and signs of wear than those with 5W30, I'm just sharing what that I've been schooled on so just run your 5W20 it's your choice, I don't know of Any high tech Modular engine builders recommending 5W20? And at operating temps the former is a THINNER viscosity!
I agree with this. The 5W-20 was to meet CAFE standards fleetwide. Militech, Militech, Militech. I believe in this stuff in my guns and my combustion engines.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I wasnt debating the fact it may lube better man i was just saying its the same thickness. I wasnt downing you dude you give out a LOT of good advice on here. and i will definitely consider the oil change

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Yup!

I agree with this. The 5W-20 was to meet CAFE standards fleetwide. Militech, Militech, Militech. I believe in this stuff in my guns and my combustion engines.
+1000 Snake Pliskin on the Militec-1, my new motor is as quiet as a Lexus inside the cabin with the windows up, ZERO ticks, piston slap etc.. Bearings and friction surfaces LUV this stuff, it's used by the CIA, Secret Service, All US Armed Forces, Interpol in Europe, that pretty much says it all, haha!!
And thanks for the props Lightning, no worries! Just like Snake said Ford switched to 5W20 for a reason that had NOTHING to do with Lubricating the 4 cams, 32 valves and all it's hardware!
I run Valvoline SynPower 5W30 6.75 quarts with an 8 oz bottle of Militec-1 every other oil change!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks guys,i surely will follow advise.5w30,7 quarts of sync.were could i find this militech?:happydance:

·
Registered
5,431 Posts

·
Registered
5,431 Posts

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
no prob bro if you do get some Militec-1, put the 6.75 quarts of oil in first then add it on top, I talked to their Tech Dept. and that's the procedure!

·
Registered
125 Posts
when running 7qts

Can anyone give me a "dipstick" reading when running 7qts? I'd like to know on the stock dip approximately where the oil line is, when the engine is cold, of-course; a first thing in morning read would be perfect.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
the very end of the flat part of it Past the max lettering!
This is cold after the oil has circulated through the filter and cooler!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.