Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told a paint job can say a whole lot about a car and the owner.Well not too long from now,I should have the 70 fastback stripped and waiting for an awesome coat. I have a little experience with body work, but I dont know much about painting it. I am considering using hot hues by du pont. I know how much the paint costs, I just dont know how much paint it takes for a complete paint job. If theres a painter out there, I just need a general idea right now, to get my finances straight. Thanks

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Down and dirty - roughly one gallon gets you the exterior & trunk, hood, and door jams with no mistakes. I say roughly because different paints are mixed differently and different colors cover differently.

I painted my 67 coupe last year with a white Single Stage Polyurethane. The car was stripped completely down to the shell. I used over 1-1/2 gallons. That shot EVERYTHING, dash, in and outsides of doors, trunk, & hood & all jams AND did the fender I had to shoot three times because I'm a runner, I tend to shoot heavy.

Then you can add 1/2 gallon of black for my stripes, chin spoiler, hood scoop, & wing.

Simply put - 1 to 2 gallons!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I did a base coat clear coat system
I shot my paint a little on the heavy side with the car disassembled and here are the approximate numbers:

• 2 coats of epoxy primer 1 gallon
  • 3 coats of high build primer 1 gallon
  • 1 coat of epoxy sealer .5 gallon
  • 2 coats of black base on the stripe areas 1/4 gallon
  • 3 coats of gray base 1.5 gallon (had extra)
  • 4 coats of clear coat 2 gallon
Pictures:
Painting it ourselves
Paint
Paint Booth

Good Luck and be safe
Ron

1 - 3 of 3 Posts