Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, what kind of total increase in horespower and torque would i be lookin at for my automatic 2004 GT with a bassani catted x pipe and 40 flows, JLT ram air intake, steeda underdrive pulleys and diablosport tuner?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Hp and torque

you'll be looking at about 13-15hp for the exhaust, about 12hp for the intake, another 9hp for the under drive pulleys, and 18 for the DiabloSport tuner. So all together at a 52-54hp and 40-45ft/lb gain of torque.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would be careful with numbers like that. You could gain 10hp at 2200-3500 rpms but lose 30hp from 3500 to 5000 rpms. I doubt any box will mention that downside. I do not personally see any improvement with ram intakes nor much with exhaust except with maybe mufflers such as flowmaster or my personal favorite magnaflow. let's face it the less baffles in a muffler the less resistance you have which is usually a good thing. i say usually because a stock engine usually requires backpressure in the exhaust. underdrive pulleys should in theory give you less resistance while making accessories work less which means that they might last longer. i've come across many situations with tuners causing issues on cars and have ended up disabling them just to make the vehicle run again. how about just investing in a good nitrous kit? or maybe a different gear ratio? really who needs to go 150 anyway. i've seen few problems with either

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
On a dyno you would make around 230-240 rwhp.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
^ That sounds about right. I would guess at most 245hp.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wait so u guys are sayin that i would lose horsepower with these mods?? and what kind of problems have people faced caused by tuners? this is the first time ive heard of negative effects from a tuner...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how much rwhp does my mustang have stock?

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
No your not losing power, that was rwhp(rear wheel horse power) that i was talking about. To the flywheel you will be making probably 280-290 hp. But to the wheels, which is what a dyno measures. you will make like lets say 240. You lose some power from the flywheel through the drivetrain, i cant remember the correct percent though. Stock your car has 260 to flywheel, so to the wheels id say 215-225.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just had my car on the dyno and with just my PYPES exhaust and a cold air intake i put down 245 HP/290 TRQ @ the wheels.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would be careful with numbers like that. I do not personally see any improvement with ram intakes nor much with exhaust except with maybe mufflers such as flowmaster or my personal favorite magnaflow. let's face it the less baffles in a muffler the less resistance you have which is usually a good thing. i say usually because a stock engine usually requires backpressure in the exhaust.
Well i'll take the the almost 30 ponies i picked up with my exhaust & cai anyday over dronemasters or magnajunk. :gringreen

·
Registered
21 Posts
just fyi- you usually lose about 16% hp from you flywheel to the rear wheels on average- use that as a guideline.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Well i'll take the the almost 30 ponies i picked up with my exhaust & cai anyday over dronemasters or magnajunk. :gringreen
you honestly probably did not gain 30 hp with those 2 mods

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Also dyno's vary with the hp/tq #'s.

·
Registered
22 Posts
you honestly probably did not gain 30 hp with those 2 mods

244.97 Max HP 290.57 Max TRQ My only REAL mods are the x pipe, catback and UPR cold air kit. So if i do my math right.

Stock @ crank 260 HP/303 TRQ w/ 17% loss for 5 speed that = 223 +/- Hp and 256 +/- @ the wheels in STOCK form

My 245 HP (round up) x .17 = 41.65 + 245 = 287 @ the Crank
My 290 TRQ x.17 = 49.3 + 290 = 340 @ the crank

So with just my Exhaust & CAI i roughly gained 27 HP/37 TRQ @ the crank and give or take 22 HP/34 TRQ @ the wheels

So do i really need to post my dyno sheet, or was that a good enough answer? Let me know! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
22 Posts
Heres the Dyno Sheet.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
when talking hp I prefer to talk rwhp and 22 is more like it to the ground.nice gains

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks! I went in hoping for 240 @ the wheels, and the torque really surprised me. 34 foot pounds @ the wheels.

There was a brand new off the showroom floor 08 GT who put down 247HP/ 269TRQ. Its nice to know i can hang with a new stock GT. ANd i just put 4:10's in as well.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok so let me get this all straight, im still pretty new to the muscle car world so i need to get my facts in order.....it seems as though whenever u talk about the performance of individual cars the most common aspect talked about is the horsepower, the higher the horsepower the faster the car.....so now im starting to see the rwhp is what really matters? if this is true than why isnt this the main focus of everyones speculations? at least its never been with me and my friends

·
Registered
210 Posts
It's all about bragging rights. And how big your hairy pair is between your legs. Most fellas will always quote the bigger number (i.e. flywheel horsepower) to make themselves feel like they are running with the elite crowd. But it's the fella who makes the same power at the wheels and knows it who has the real testicular fortitude. In short it's an ego thing.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
It's all about bragging rights. And how big your hairy pair is between your legs. Most fellas will always quote the bigger number (i.e. flywheel horsepower) to make themselves feel like they are running with the elite crowd. But it's the fella who makes the same power at the wheels and knows it who has the real testicular fortitude. In short it's an ego thing.

not that is funny but true. rwhp is what matters though.
:happyhapp:happyhapp:happyhapp:happyhapp

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.