Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ever since buying the 2006 V6 pony I've been regreting not laying down the extra dough for the GT. But I finally am in a spot to upgrade and have found me a 2006 GT that an older gentleman owned and took very good care of. The car already has installed dual flowmasters, chrome wheels, and a K&N filter. I was wondering about how much horsepower she should be putting out and what the next cheaper upgrades should be.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
To the wheels id guess 265-275. The exhaust only adds maybe 10 hp at the most, and the k&n maybe like 2. The next mod you should invest in before anything is gears. Then a cold air intake and a tune.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Unless you are doing headers mufflers alone do nothing.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
But remember GPHASAGT said his car made 280rwhp with just exhaust But every engine makes different numbers.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
also every dyno makes different numbers as well. I have seen cars dyno 600 on one and 550 on another.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Many people suggest upgrading suspension parts (e.g., LCAs, UCA, bracing of a-arms and shock towers, etc.) before anything else because of the impact that these types of modifications have on handling.

More horsepower or potentially better handling: your choice ultimately.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I went horsepower first. No regrets, but now it is time for some traction up grades.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I went horsepower first also. I did the CAI, underdrive pulleys, catback exhaust, and dyno tune at the same time with really good results.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
But remember GPHASAGT said his car made 280rwhp with just exhaust But every engine makes different numbers.
ya I imagine I was right around 270rwhp from the factory... guess I'm one of the lucky ones :D

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
ya I imagine I was right around 270rwhp from the factory... guess I'm one of the lucky ones :D
It had to be even higher because I don't think you got 10 rwhp out of your mufflers alone. You definitely got one of the good ones!

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Many people suggest upgrading suspension parts (e.g., LCAs, UCA, bracing of a-arms and shock towers, etc.) before anything else because of the impact that these types of modifications have on handling.

More horsepower or potentially better handling: your choice ultimately.
Adding power and adding alot of power. If i can do it over again i would of finished my suspension before going FI but when i was NA with bolt ons there was really no issues. Its not really as much of a critical mod.

now if your preparing your car for FI then suspension is more better then a CAI but your CAI will go bye bye unless you go saleen.

For instance i had my CAI for 3 months lol after that I went FI I lost about 100 bucks

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I appreciate what everybody has said about adding more power first unless or until you go n/a and I don't really disagree with that so much as think that unless you can more effectively control whatever power you already have or decide to add by way of a CAI and tune (and these cars do have issues in their "natural state": e.g., "hop", some noticeable understeer, more roll than some would like, etc.) that you might be as well if not better served to do at least some of the suspension mods first (which are admittedly more expensive than a simple CAI and tune) than just add power.

Not trying to start an argument here, just some more (junk ?) food for thought...:rockon:

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
BTW, if you do decide to just do some power adding first you might want to consider changing to a one-piece aluminum drive shaft since it'll be like adding power because you'll be reducing the rotational weight of your driveshaft, which is a "power robber" in and of itself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.