Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what's going on, so I just sold my 98 cobra and I'm in the market for a new stang. I really would like a stroker built, and actually have an eye on a really nice one. I just want some more opinion on the price and what I should offer him.

Here's the link to the add: 1992 mustang 331 stroker.... FAST AND LOUD

Let me know what you guys think, it has an elderbrock performer head, scat crank, eagle h beam rods, wiseco pistons and an 70 302 block. It also has a tremec t5 tranny and 373 gears. He said the tranny has some work done, but doesn't remember exactly. He does have the receipts for all the parts and it's dynoed at 378 rwhp. Oh and the body has approximately 100k miles.

Ill really appreciate you guys opinions and help me make a decision. I haven't seen it in person yet, but I plan on going next weekend. Thank you for input in advance :)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Buy a 5.0 with a blown motor rebuild up yourself. No way to know what kind of parts or if the mechanic working on it was worth a damn. Plus he probably abused the thing I mean its a 331 stroker I would. :gringreen

My 2¢

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buy a 5.0 with a blown motor rebuild up yourself. No way to know what kind of parts or if the mechanic working on it was worth a damn. Plus he probably abused the thing I mean its a 331 stroker I would. :gringreen

My 2¢
Yea I know what you mean, but it looks like a well put together car. I mean the engine bay speaks for itself. Looks super clean, but you do have a good point. Probably a lot cheaper to build my own, plus price is a bit steep in my opinion :/

·
Registered
625 Posts
It looks really clean, and tasteful IMO, I don't think 10,000 is unreasonable to offer?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
You do realize that car had NO creature comforts (windshield wipers, heater) that may come in handy even in summer.

How does interior look?

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I wouldn't start that high, I'd be coming in at $7500 to start. It's carbureted so its not like he's got a ton of $ into the injection system and tune...it's really just a 331, nothing special. Yeah the cars clean and nice but you never get back what you put into it. On top of that it doesn't have any of the original parts so its not worth a lot as far as well...being original, it's got a 100k on the chassis which is low but it isn't that low. Start low and see where he's at, you come in with a $10k offer of the bat...and in his mind he'd be willing to part with it for $8...then you just bought the guy a winning lottery ticket for $2k. Plus who knows his financial state, he may be hurting for $ and the car doesn't mean that much. I wouldn't go into it with a # like that right off the bat. Jmo.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
372 Posts
if you read the whole listing he seems to know little about the car i bet he bought it that way i dont know of a 98 with a 8" rear end and you know he had fun with it he bought new tires to sell it.. with that said it is a pretty car would like to see interior photos

·
Registered
356 Posts
You do realize that car had NO creature comforts (windshield wipers, heater) that may come in handy even in summer.

How does interior look?
^^^^YUP

It really depends on what you're willing to give up cause to me, that would suck!!!

After letting go of that thought, the engine bay is very nice and clean. But I would have to say, too many times have I looked into the interior and seen the opposite in complete horror:shocked: from the way it looked from the outside. Wonder why he left out interior pics for a $13K price tag???:headscratch:

·
Registered
864 Posts
For $13,000 I would pass. The 1st day it rains while you're driving will suck. But that's just me

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
You could get a basic modded fox in better than decent shape for 1/4-1/3 of that price, and build it with the things YOU want for that amount of $. And I'm not sure if it matters in the area you live in but...emissions may be an issue for you, and/or if you have to sell it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys thank you all for your opinions, I'm going to see if I can get some interior pics. I did realize it had no heat, ect, but didn't realize it had no wipers. The does worry me actually. Once I get some interior pics, I will post them up.

·
Registered
240 Posts
It looks like the wipers were deleted all together, look in the upper right hand corner of the engine bay pic and it looks like the wiper motor is gone and in its place is the sheet metal with steeda on it! I'd say pass on this car for the price, it's certainly not a daily driver, more of a track car IMO

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Looks clean and the engine bay is nice.

If this is for a daily well the question would be how much can you put up with?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Oh crap, I didn't even notice no wipers lol.

Now from what you are all advising I changed my mind as well, interior pics def

I saw a Termi for 13,000 once, at some hole in wall dealership, pics looked great, low mileage. Could not figure out why it was so cheap. Haunts me to this day, I should of at least looked at it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
There are lots of nice fox bodies in that price range i personally wouldn't buy one that the fi system has been removed from!

I don't think going Carb is necessarily a bad thing, if the new buyer is a carb guy then its actually to their advantage since all that work has been done. Just because something was originally fuel injected and turned carb should not discredit the entire car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts