Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how many degrees of timing the stock computer pulls in very hot ambient temperatures? I had a 2005 GTO with the LS2 and those engines were always real bad at pulling timing when ambient temps were HOT, and lately, this car has been feeling like a dog as well. I know thats to be expected some what, but I was just curious if anyone had logged data in cooler temps vs hot temps?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how many degrees of timing the stock computer pulls in very hot ambient temperatures? I had a 2005 GTO with the LS2 and those engines were always real bad at pulling timing when ambient temps were HOT, and lately, this car has been feeling like a dog as well. I know thats to be expected some what, but I was just curious if anyone had logged data in cooler temps vs hot temps?
crazy you mention this...i have been thinking about this the last few days. the temps here have been in the upper 90s with 70-75% humidity (around 105-110 index). VERY NOTICEABLE difference in power than when cool outside. i am not sure of the timing but there is no doubt that power is significantly different. i thought about doing some cooling mods when the market starts to pick up and offer a few different options...still enjoy the whip though

Gary

·
Registered
631 Posts
I would agree. It's been up in the upper 90s here all week and I was just thinking to myself yesterday how lazy the car felt. It's good to know it's not exclusive to my car.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I had a 2004 GTO w/ LS1 for about 1.5-years and this car feels about the same in regards to power loss when outside temperatures get above approx 90F or higher temps.

Since I'm not willing to go without the AC when it's this hot, I'm wondering it the power loss is only when the A/C is engaged?

·
Registered
366 Posts
The extremely humid air doesn't help either. My old mustang felt like it was supercharged during winter with the cold dense air.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Same here, it's about 100 out today and the wife and I could feel the car not having quite as much get up and go. Nice thing is, no ping, just not as much power. I guess it's to be expected. It's still fast no matter what the outside temp is though :)

·
Registered
734 Posts
Mine has also been feeling slower lately. We had 102° temps with 80% humidity (HI of about 115°) and it felt like my SHO did when it was cold.

·
Registered
78 Posts
glad to see others notice the issue too (read misery loves company). My car has right under 3000 miles on it but i think at the first oil change coming up i am going to have the dealer install at least the boss 302 engine oil cooler. its only about $120. maybe even the boss radiator but that is closer to $500. maybe start with the engine oil cooler and see. i'll let you know how it goes.

Gary

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
glad to see others notice the issue too (read misery loves company). My car has right under 3000 miles on it but i think at the first oil change coming up i am going to have the dealer install at least the boss 302 engine oil cooler. its only about $120. maybe even the boss radiator but that is closer to $500. maybe start with the engine oil cooler and see. i'll let you know how it goes.

Gary

Issue? It's not an issue man, it's how ALL CARS WORK :)

·
Registered
734 Posts
haha touché *underbreath* smartass

Gary
FWIW, my SHO in the hot felt like a Civic in the cold. I can only imagine how a Civic must feel when it's hot. Geo Metro?

·
Registered
275 Posts
With the LS1 GTO I had, the stock Intake Air Temp sensor would tend to read a temperature much higher than the actual air temperature, especially if the car had been parked in the sun or was in slow traffic. Consequently the PCM pulled way more timing than it needed to (IMHO). For a while, I even put a resistor in the IAT plug so the car always would see an air temp of 72 degrees and not pull timing (NOT RECOMMENDED, but my car didn't explode).

Does anyone know how IAT is measured on the Mustang, and does it get heat-soaked really bad?

·
Registered
157 Posts
[Please excuse the science nerd moment.] When it gets hot out, the air becomes thinner. Less air leads to less power (like a turbo in reverse). It's similar to what happens when driving in high altitude places like Colorado.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's good to know that I'm not the only one feeling this way....and I do know it is normal. I'm just wondering if it as bad as the LS engines are? As Zathras mentioned, the GTO would read even hotter than it should have, so thats why I'm wondering if anyone had logged any data with the Mustang? Other than HP Tuners on a laptop, is their a data logger available for these cars?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.