Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 GT mustang with a tune, and exhaust mods. I want to add stage II Comp cams. Can anyone give me a projection on what it will do to my gas mileage? The car gets about 17 MPG combined highway and town now.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Tough to tell what it'll do to your mileage, that depends a lot on how you drive, what tranny, what octane, etc. You should probably focus on some more bolt-ons for now, your motor isn't ready to take advantage of the cams yet, it'll add some, but might hurt driveability.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I agree, I would put some simpler bolt ons to add hp before diving into cams just yet-your engine will want more air/fuel with bigger cams but won't be able to get it without upgrades in the fuel system first. As a general rule the more performance you get the less mileage you get. If you only get 17 mpg combined it sounds like you are doing more town driving than highway so it might make more sense to add stuff that gives you more lower rpm power gains unless you only like to play on the highway which would then necessitate higher rpm power add ons.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yup yup. Cobrajet67 is right. If it were me, I would try upgrading your intake manifold and installing bigger fuel injectors first. Also, you will need to upgrade the valve springs if you are using this specific cam.

You may even want to contact the retailer for the Stage II Comp Cam and ask them what they recommend. I know Summit Racing has this cam in their catalog and their tech department is awesome. Give them a call and ask what the optimal set up is.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
you would not need to upgrade you intake for stage 2 cams I dont even think you need to change the springs. I am getting ready to do this and starting to gather info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.