Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired a 2004 GT with a whole list of mods. Notably: cold air intake, throttle body, plenum, headers, short shift kit, and Flowmaster exhaust.

The exhaust had no catalytic converters and now the dealer is installing them for free but aren't installing high-flow CATS. I'm wondering how restrictive this is going to be for a car like this that obviously has some good air flow coming in and going out?

How much would I gain if I put on some high-flow CATS?

·
Registered
169 Posts
mustang catalytic converters

i don't know but on summit racing theres some catco cats , for like 55$ some of the cheapest ones iv'e seen.

iv'e heard that hi flo cats flow almost as good as a off road H pipe with no cats at all , so i ' m not sure about hp gains but the flow is good.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Stock cats are very restrictive, also you have four vs two when you purchase a catted X pipe. Magnaflow, and Bassani make excellent free flowing cats, and for a street driven vehicle it's better to run a catted X pipe over an O/R Xpipe. Reason being, you lose too much needed back-pressure for a street driven vehicle. I've actually seen a free flowing catted X pipe, gain more power on the dyno then an O/R X pipe, Mike. SCT Tuner.:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Can you pay them a little extra to instal high flow ones?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
yeah i found a used bassani x pipe for 80 bucks and it sounds nice. i feel some extra sotp feeling at mid rpms when i'm hammering it also. dude definitely buy high flows and just tell them to put those on instead

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Stock cats are brick style and really suck, imagine trying to blow through a coffee stirrer. You're much better getting high flow cats on a good mid pipe, the stock is a crappy piece all together, bad bends, bad cats, junk. And you have to be out of your mind to let the stealership work on it, plan on getting butt raped.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I say if u live in a place where u can get away with no cats do it! If u can live with a slight smell i would go x-pipe why gonna flow and sound better!The car is already moded so if it were stock i would say keep them!If u have to do it spend the money for hi-flo!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.