Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
i drove my boy pierluca home today to brooklyn cause he wanted to see how his supra ran against the 06gt...when we got to his house.....guys...he chains his car to a tree! thats hilarious...i mean...cmon...its not like its new or a stang...ha ha ha...move away if its that bad...i just had to share

Attachments

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
A good set of bolt cutters, and its gone, but that is funny!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Hence one of the main reasons I moved out of New York.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
myltlpny said:
Where in NYC did you leave from to go where?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey, I resemble that statement!

myltlpny said:
Don't say "New York" like it's all the same. I live in a nice section of Long Island that is not the Hamptons but it's NOT like Brooklyn.

But this brings up an interesting point - not all folks are created equal.

I went to my Bro's house in Brooklyn and will not drive there again unless there's another death in the family. The roads are a maze of one-way avenues, all under construction - yet still all the potholes somehow remain. The air smells like sewage and car exhaust. Horns, voices, pets, trains, and a general sort of noise dominates the sound that most people call peace and quiet. There's way-too-much traffic and people - neither of which knows what part of the road-walk to use at any given time. There's graffiti everywhere, the crime rate is high(er), the unemployment rate is high(er), and the average income is lower...

BUT, my brother, who once owned a house in Hawaii, now resides there - in a common, cramped, cat-piss smelling apartment building. He lives in a wonderful 9' wide x 40' long apartment. It's an interesting setup. Quite the city pad. It's not a luxurious hideaway, not a "sleeper" apartment (pun intended).

And he loves it. You couldn't drag him to the Hamptons to live if you paid him. He loves to fish, has a successful career, but he likes it where he is.

There's just something about city life that attracts some people... even if they have to chain their car to a tree.

I can relate. Here I am stuck (for the time being) on Long Island, and I love it - though there ARE a few things to complain about. The roads are not too nice considering the very high taxes we pay. My property taxes are going to run me about $5.5K next year and we have less then 2K sq. ft. on a property that's about 50x125 (smallest yard in the neighborhood). The main streets are often somewhat littered, there are more and more lower income people moving into the surrounding towns, there are no sidewalks anywhere, there are few cops patrolling, the price of gas and heating oil is a fortune ($2.80 is a great deal around here), and new houses start at about $300K for a two bedroom in a low-end area.

But we LIKE it here. I've lived here for 20 years in various surrounding towns. There are some great things to say... there are few cops around cause you really don't need 'em. The only crime we have in the neighborhoods I've lived in was kids tackling mailboxes - Karma come to haunt me. The streets are in poor condition cause we don't want the DOT creating lots of traffic working on them all the time - it's a big long island (pun intended, again) and there are not too many ways to get around.

There are lots of people compared to your typical small town in, let's say North Carolina, so there's a general feeling of hustle and bustle. You can't drive for more then 5 minutes in any direction from anywhere without running into a deli, a pizza place, a Greek diner, and a bagel shop. Towns occur one after another in quick succession, running into each other so you really can't tell what town you are in until you've been here for a long time. EVERYone drives on the island, so there are a lot of cars to look at if you like cars - and there's lots of time to look at them while you are stuck in traffic for 4 hours EVERY DAY if you commute to the city. 90 minutes one direction, you are in Manhattan - in case you like clubbing or want to see my buddy plat at CBGB's. 90 minutes the other way, you are in the Hamptons or Quogue. I spent my honeymoon out east at Montauk Point. They have a beautiful beach and a lighthouse if you're into that sort of thing. I'm not, but it was my honeymoon, and everything was beautiful that week. Everything still is.

I just felt like rambling tonight about New York to give some folks an idea of what it's like from my narrow little perspective. I could go on to balance some of my statements, but I'm afraid nobody will even make it this far, so...

Good night from Beautiful New York and the People who Love It.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thanks Drew, I live in a small town in California and you paint a very descriptive picture. I got all caught up in it. You should write.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Hey, I made it all the way through your rant ssoss! lol

I live in Manhattan myself. Noise, crushing traffic, cost of living driving everyone but the rich out, some roads so bad they should have trail ratings but I still love it. Greatest city in the world to me. But I'll admit there are days where it takes a toll on ya.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah....I got all caught up in the lonGEYEland nostalgia, wondered where Buttafoooko is now....wiped a tear from my eye, wished I had a good pizza place nearby....then I woke up and remembered ....the YANKEES SUCK!!!

NYC - the city I love to hate.

-The Baked Bean
:wavey

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Confused --- Are those chains supposed to make his car more resistant to being stolen?

·
Registered
454 Posts
That's like tying up a dog. You don't tie it up because someone is going to steal it. You tie it up so that it doesn't run away!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Wouldn't it be funny if he got a stupid crook that decided to cut down the tree but then decided not to take it after the tree fell on it.:hihi:

·
Registered
886 Posts
That's pretty dang funny. But, I think we're all missing the subtext here....

Did ya smoke him, or what????!!!

I used to really want one of those Supras. Nice ride, for the time.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
nah...he beat me...but it was close...(even though a win is a win) i didnt really expect to beat him in my stock 06gt...hes had that baby awhile...its a kick ass machine...but i did well enough to know i will smoke him soon....and at the finish all i said was..............................................................................I DONT CHAIN MY CAR TO MY TREE!!! NAH NAH NAH NAH NAAAAAAH.......... new york rules

oh yeah....the car has a club and a one of the brake pedal doo hickies in addition to the chain......think i'd be over the top if i got one of my friends to help me steal it just for a night...he has a flatbed and i got lock cutters...if we dont do 7 to 10 in the clink itd be a hoot

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
i just had the perfect idea....take it...move it down the block and rechain it to another tree.........what if i could get it on film when he comes out in the morning?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I grew up in Lake Grove, then moved out to the North Fork when I was 18. I have family in Brooklyn and on the Island still. I moved away about 15 years ago because it was too crowded, too expensive, and too antagonistic. The area I live now is very much like the North Fork, and not without it's faults, but at least I don't have to chain my car to a tree.

·
Registered
78 Posts
myltlpny said:
I grew up in Lake Grove, then moved out to the North Fork when I was 18. I have family in Brooklyn and on the Island still. I moved away about 15 years ago because it was too crowded, too expensive, and too antagonistic. The area I live now is very much like the North Fork, and not without it's faults, but at least I don't have to chain my car to a tree.
I live a minute away from where you grew up in Lake Grove and I drive through it every day on the way to work in Smithtown.

We don't chain our cars to trees around here, and you certainly did not have to if you lived on the North Fork. And, the Fork is nowhere near as crowded as the rest of the Island, it's just that there is only one main road to travel on - 25a.

Anyhow, can't argue with the expensive part or the antagonistic part. New Yorkers are open and honest to a fault, but it's only 'cause we hate putting on airs. No pretense in NY.

I moved to Vegas once for a while and it sucked a$$. I was screaming "I'm home." as I drove back to the Island on the LIE.

I also visited relatives in NC recently... boring place to live. But it is peaceful.

Indiana seems like a good compromise, got relatives there, too... but do I really want to move there? Undecided. It's a red state! They'll bust down my door for having a pot seed. And they support Bush! I'm bound to get myself in trouble in that sort of environment.

(Singing Frank Sinatra...)
New York, New York... I wanna wake up in the city that never sleeps...

OK, I'll stop.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Larry Sergent said:
Thanks Drew, I live in a small town in California and you paint a very descriptive picture. I got all caught up in it. You should write.
Thank you very much for the compliment! But be careful, I've got an easily inflatable fat-head.

Glad you got a kick out of it...

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
ssoss said:
I live a minute away from where you grew up in Lake Grove and I drive through it every day on the way to work in Smithtown.

We don't chain our cars to trees around here, and you certainly did not have to if you lived on the North Fork. And, the Fork is nowhere near as crowded as the rest of the Island, it's just that there is only one main road to travel on - 25a.

Anyhow, can't argue with the expensive part or the antagonistic part. New Yorkers are open and honest to a fault, but it's only 'cause we hate putting on airs. No pretense in NY.

(Singing Frank Sinatra...)
New York, New York... I wanna wake up in the city that never sleeps...

OK, I'll stop.
You're right, I'm just moaning. It's just so dissapointing to know the Island as I did when I grew up there in the 70's & 80's seeing how it has become. Lake Grove used to be a sleepy little town. We could go to the 5-corners deli and barely hear a car go by. Now, you're lucky to make it through the light in 3 cycles.

The lack of pretenses part is particularly funny. Boy, has that gotten me in trouble!
People think New Yorkers are aggressive drivers. It's just that we know the length of our cars to the nearest half-inch. If there's an inch to spare, we're in there. People here in Virginia try the same thing, they just use a different ruler.:eyebulge:
There's a lot I miss about New York. Pizza, for one. You just can't get a good pie here. And these people do not know what the meaning of a hard roll is. Don't ask for a Sub either. They'll look at you like you had two heads, even if you asked in s SUBway.
I'm going to NY this weekend for my sisters wedding. I'll get nostagic, but I'll be glad to get home.

·
Registered
78 Posts
myltlpny said:
... Lake Grove used to be a sleepy little town. We could go to the 5-corners deli and barely hear a car go by. Now, you're lucky to make it through the light in 3 cycles.

The lack of pretenses part is particularly funny. Boy, has that gotten me in trouble!

Don't ask for a Sub either. They'll look at you like you had two heads, even if you asked in s SUBway.
Yea, Lake Grove is just one section of the huge town theat LI has become. One big conglomerate town. I drive through five-corners all the time! With Hawkins as a short-cut to the mall and Sachem right down the block (biggest school distict in the country, I think), it is crowded. But I usually get through in one light - outa my way, Jerk-a$$!

I hope I don't get myself in trouble with the lack of pretense thing if I move away to another state. Here, it's standard fare to flip someone off if they cut you off or beep at you. Somewhere else they might take it personally!

And your comment about the Sub is classic. When I was in vegas, I called a subway/sandwich place for grilled chicken hero. "You want a what?", "A hero." "A what?", this went on for a while. "Ohhhh.. You want a SUB. OK. You want chicken salad?" "No, grilled chicken, or maybe breaded cutlet." "We don't have that. I can give you chicken salad."

"Arghhh! Forget the sandwich, just give me a soda."

"A what?"

Click.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts