Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Should sound ok. Don't overpay for the name KICKER though. There stuff is not gold or anything. Many people brag on their speakers based on the fact that they have either rockford, kicker or JL. Those are all decent but none have top of the line stuff when it comes to performance. If you want alot better set up for the same price check out the MA1000XL 10 inch sub. It has alot better numbers, plus if you are going for hard hitting its magnet is over twice the size of the kickers so it will hit alot harder. That is what I have and it will blow your mind for being a brand you have probably never heard of or payed attention to. As far as amps Hifonics Brutus has a pretty good market on amps. You must look at rms vs. peak. You can't be fooled by high peak wattage when your expecting continuous. I have a 1200watt RMS Hifonics brutus amp and it was only like 200 or 250. As far as distortion and low response it is one of the best I have heard. Definately worth checking out unless you just want the name KICKER.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
I run Sundown Audio personally, won't buy anything else nowadays, problem is that they don't offer a 10" subwoofer off the shelf.

·
Registered
603 Posts
kenwood and rockford all the way! 2 12's and a big amp is all you need:shigrin

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I love my alpine head unit, the rest of the speakers are infinity perfects (absolutely incredible quality sound), also 2 kicker mids (not bad, but nowhere near those infinity's), and a 12" JL sub. The sub enclosure in the link is for a truck, you'd be better off getting one more for your car, it will sound better. I previously had 2 10" subs, and it sounds much much better with the single 12, much clearer, louder, and responsive.

Overall, what you have shown should sound alright, it really depends on how much of the lower frequencies you want to hear, how loud you listen to it. You might be better off posting this in the audio section of the forum, you'll probably get more answers there, and from people with more knowledge.

·
Registered
562 Posts
These guys are making my point. Don't overpay for names. Just look at the technical specs. I am sure there are brands out there that not many know of that are superior. Just look at all the numbers, not just watts. Take in SPL this is kinda a measure of efficiency. near 90 is good. Above 90 is great for 10's. My 2 12s were at 96. Magnet weight controls how hard they hit. bigger the better. And watts obiously factors into how loud. Be sure to get them close to the amp. You don't want 1000 watt speakers with only a 200 watt amp because it won't be as clear. And excursion is the measure of how far the speaker moves this factors in with how low it goes and hard it hits. And frequency range. Most go to 20 hz. This is not even audible for many people.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
efficiency numbers can also be skewed, since there's no set industry standard for measuring it anymore. 1w/1m was the standard for years, but many companies now rate their high rms drivers at 2.83w/1m, which gives you higher efficiency numbers. I don't pay attention to any of that anymore.

I pay more attention to the Theile Small Parameters, and if a subwoofer meets the requirements I need based on the parameters, I go with it. Efficiency is the last thing I would look at anyways.

Besides, the matching of components and enclosure selection means more than brand name anyway. I typically run subwoofers at 120-150% of rms, and build enclosures based on the Theile Small parameters, not the manufacturer's recommendations. Large Manufacturer's enclosures are ALWAYS a compromise.

The best brands on the market right now aren't everyday names as mentioned above:

Sundown Audio
Incriminator Audio
Resonant Engineering
TC Sounds
CDT Audio
Focal

and there's 1000 more that offer better products at better prices and offer better customer service and great warranties you'll never get from one of the box store names.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked into a few of those brands and came across something, a mustang specific enclosure for either 2 10's or 1 15 :cursing:

It was priced so that I couldve bought 2 JL audio subs and the box and it wouldve been cheaper than my single ten.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.