Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to drain my canton PS reservoir because the hose was leaking. Now my steering wheel is making kind of a rubber on rubber sound when turning. I think some air got in the system. Does anyone know the procedure to bleed the system of air?

·
Registered
15 Posts
though i've never drained my steering system usually the air works itself out through the fill cap, but if not i would say just crack one of the hoses, turn the steering wheel until all fluid comes out, though not the cleanest way to bleed something it should work.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
though i've never drained my steering system usually the air works itself out through the fill cap, but if not i would say just crack one of the hoses, turn the steering wheel until all fluid comes out, though not the cleanest way to bleed something it should work.
lol

I knew someone was going to say that. At least it doesn't smell like gear oil. I'll probably do it that way.

·
Registered
44 Posts
try taking off the cap and truning the wheel all the way to the right and all the way to the left that counts as one do that about 20 times while the cars off make sure the fluid is toped off (its easier when the front wheels are off the ground) and see if that helps :bigthumbsup

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
1. Idle the engine to bring the hydraulic steering fluid to operating temperature.
2. Add fluid to bring system up to proper specifications.
3. With engine idling, cycle the steering wheel from side to side 10-15 times. Do not turn too quickly or hold in the lock position for more than 10 seconds.
4. Refill the power steering pump to proper specifications.
5. Check hydraulic fluid for color—if tan, light red, foamy or cloudy, air is still in the system. Repeat steps 3, 4 and 5 (for cars with rack and pinion, it may be helpful to let car sit for 30 minutes before repeating steps 3, 4 and 5).

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1. Idle the engine to bring the hydraulic steering fluid to operating temperature.
2. Add fluid to bring system up to proper specifications.
3. With engine idling, cycle the steering wheel from side to side 10-15 times. Do not turn too quickly or hold in the lock position for more than 10 seconds.
4. Refill the power steering pump to proper specifications.
5. Check hydraulic fluid for color—if tan, light red, foamy or cloudy, air is still in the system. Repeat steps 3, 4 and 5 (for cars with rack and pinion, it may be helpful to let car sit for 30 minutes before repeating steps 3, 4 and 5).
Awesome, that worked. thanks.

I only had to cycle the wheel about 10 time. Only added a little bit of fluid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.