Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey does anyone know a good place for instructions on how to change gears out on a 8.8. i have the transfer case out and thats about it. and also do you know where i could find a places that tells you how to install a clutch pack on the differential... thanks a ton

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Just know if you get in over your head with this swap, most mechanics charge extra for finishing something you've started. If you've never done gears before, it isn't recommended to do by reading a book, you need someone there with experience. But good luck with it.

·
Registered
918 Posts
If you just want to rebuild the traction loc it isn't too hard, I just did mine last weekend. But if you're changing the ring and pinion gears and have no experience at it, I'd leave that to a pro.

·
Registered
186 Posts
it's definitely doable but it's one of those things that has to be perfect it's fairly easy to rebulid the traction lock but steeing up a new ring and pinion can be a hassle. setting the pinion depth is the hardest part because you need to have the right shim and if you tighten it up and crush the crush sleeve and you didn't shim it enough the crush sleeve is junk. then you need an indicator and a fixture to hold it to check the backlash. good luck man

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.