Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So, my TPMS batteries died, and I needed to replace them. I did not want to spend upwards of $70 a tire to get this done so I put them in myself. Bought a set on Amazon for about $50 for four.

The first step is to break the bead of the tire, this is done easily if you happen to have a Hi-Lift jack. This is a wonder tool, if you don’t have one you should get one, they have a million uses from off roading to removing fence posts, and if you have some time, winching a jeep out of a mess. If you have an off road vehicle, and don’t have one buy one now. But don’t buy the Chinese knock offs, these are dangerous to begin with and you really don’t save much by buying the knock offs, the real one is made in the US out of cast steel and they are virtually unbreakable unless you try. You can buy the sensors and jack for about $150 and still be ahead well over $100 even if you have to buy the jack.

Ok enough on the PSA for Hi-Lift. They say a picture paints a 1000 words so here you go. If you have never used a Hi-lift, do yourself a favor and search google for tips, these things can take your jaw off if you are not careful so don’t blame me, I told you. If you don’t feel comfortable DO NOT DO IT.

First, take the tire and wheel off and then remove the valve core and leave it out. Then you can break the bead. After that. Cut the old one out and insert the new one, you may need a puller but they are about $10. I had one.

To reseat the bead, leave the core out and crank up the compressor to all the way to bright and give it a rush of air and let it fill, it will seat. Use some soapy water on the valve stem and bead to lube it.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting

Once installed, use the relearn tool to program them to your car. Important to note, if you don’t leave the door closed then the process does not work. That is because an error message will pop up saying the door is ajar and seems to block the learning.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
740 Posts
Does the relearn tool come with the sensors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
So, my TPMS batteries died, and I needed to replace them. I did not want to spend upwards of $70 a tire to get this done so I put them in myself. Bought a set on Amazon for about $50 for four.
Kuddos for the effort! But let me add a couple things here....

The first step is to break the bead of the tire, this is done easily if you happen to have a Hi-Lift jack.

Actually the 1st step prior to deflating the tire is to Mark The Tire in comparison to the location it is on the rim to make sure it doesn't somehow rotate and throw off the balance"

To reseat the bead, leave the core out and crank up the compressor to all the way to bright and give it a rush of air and let it fill, it will seat. Use some soapy water on the valve stem and bead to lube it.

Prior to reseating the tire, make sure you take either the soapy water and clean the rim (bead area contact surface) or if there is substantial buildup that will not clean off, use a touch of acetone/paint thinner/lacquer thinner to clean the area, then apply the soapy water solution to provide the "slip". Failure to do this may result in air leaks at the bead.

If the tire will not re-seat, using a cinch strap or rope (if you know how to tie and use a truckers hitch), wrap the strap around the center portion of the tire tread surface.... cinch it down tight- enough to compress the tire (circumference), then reinflate..... even tire shops have to do this at times and they use an air inflation belt.

Ok, I'm done! 😎 (y)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kuddos for the effort! But let me add a couple things here....

Actually the 1st step prior to deflating the tire is to Mark The Tire in comparison to the location it is on the rim to make sure it doesn't somehow rotate and throw off the balance"
Regarding marking the tire, you don't need to do that because you are only breaking the bead on one side, no way for the tire to move. Actually, the whole bead does not become unseated on that side, only a portion. And the rear does not unseat at all.

As for reseating, yes if you have problems that is the best way to go. But again, you are not removing the tire. only a portion of the bead.

Only time I need to use a strap once was on some big meats on my jeep and both sides were unseated due to the terrain.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Regarding marking the tire, you don't need to do that because you are only breaking the bead on one side, no way for the tire to move. Actually, the whole bead does not become unseated on that side, only a portion. And the rear does not unseat at all.

As for reseating, yes if you have problems that is the best way to go. But again, you are not removing the tire. only a portion of the bead.

Only time I need to use a strap once was on some big meats on my jeep and both sides were unseated due to the terrain.
Yeah, we use to mark them anyway (when I worked back in the dark ages in a real gas station...ya know, pumped gas, washed windows, rebuilt engines, installed and repaired tires, etc. ....cause sometimes it happens! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: crjackson
1 - 7 of 7 Posts