Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello i need help with how to connect my wires on my mustang its a 3.8l 04 im completely car illiterate if anyone can help with pics so i can do it right my friend did it back in 06 up until last november in 2010 when i did it but i get missfire codes when i went to check out my check engine light it runs and then looses power then picks up again and looses power again in 5th gear i have almost complete power loss its like driving a snail not a mustang any help please i dont know anything about cars but want to learn if not ill take it to mechanic to do the work thanks:worship

·
Registered
35 Posts
It sounds pretty serious dude. Don't think pics can help you. :nono:
I'd have it serviced as soon as possible. :scratchchin

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
:sigh: its like you guys didnt even read the OP's post.. he/she doesnt need you to tell them they've got a problem.. pretty sure that has been figured out... here's a small picture i found via google of the cylinder numberings and the corresponding numbers on the coil pack

Attachments

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
no, i'm pretty sure he doesn't know what the problem is........if he just put wires on it 6-7 months ago it should not need wires again.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
his post led me to believe the misfire came after he changed the wires.. swap a couple wires and youll end up with a couple bad misfires.. if that is not the case, if you have the wires touching metal they can arc through the insulation, and it will break down and cause misfiring. you need to use the factory routing of the wires and stand-offs

·
Registered
130 Posts
...all you would have to do is expect that the coil pack was numbered the same way as the engine block and

WHAM

you managed to get three wrong...

I like the diagram enough to stuff it in the glove box!

- dan

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
interestingly enough, if you swap the wires so 123 are on the bottom row of the coil and 564 are on the top of the coil, it would work perfectly fine due to the waste spark ignition the 3.8 utilizes

·
Registered
130 Posts
...let's not go there...

It's goofy enough that the starboard side plugs have the platinum on one side and the port side has the platinum on the other:
Spark Plug Tech

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts