Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am going to give the easy way to properly do the timing on a 1999 - 2004 Mustang 4.6L 2 valve V-8. Ok lets get started people. I am doing this write up because I know how hard it is for people to do it when they don't know how and it seems to be a never ending search so here is for all my fellow Mustang bros and sisters.

First step you want to do is take off the two valve covers - there is 11 bolts total on each one and the size is 8mm deep socket and a 13mm for only one bolt. take out your bolts and remember where each one goes so that you can put the harness clips back on the studs when you are finished.

Second step. release the belt tensioner and remove the serpentine belt. and take off the alternator and idler pullys and balancer.

third step remove the front cover bolts. you will need a 13mm 10mm and a 17mm if i remember correct. Be sure you mark where all of the bolts came out from. There is also four 10mm bolts on the bottom of the cover where the oil pan meets the front cover take those out as well. Be very careful when you remove the front cover as it sits on two dowl pins. use a flat screw driver to pry it away from the block.

fourh step you will need to rotate the crank so that it is at tdc (top dead center meaning piston 1 is all the way up this is the passenger side head cylinder all the way in the front) there is a line in the crank gear and that is you timing mark and then there is a keyway on that gear as well. You want the timing mark to be facing straight down at 6 o clock and the key way should be at 10 o clock. It should pretty much say 10:30.

fifth step now that the motor is at tdc you will want to take your 10mm and loosen the tensioners and be sure to remember what one goes where. the one with the L goes on bank 2 cylinder head on the driver side and the one with the R goes on the passenger side cylinder head bank 1. pretty simple but here is what you do. Once you got those loose slowly remove them. the cams may move a little bit but thats on no sweat.

sixth step now that we got the tensioners off you can remove the two timing chains. once removed you want to clean them up and lay them flat out. stretch them out so that the two end links are facing the opposite from the rest of the links. do this on both chains, and mark the two end links on both chains (total of 2 marks on each chain)

seventh step now you got the compress the tensioners. take a allen key and stick it in the wratcheting mechanism and take a vise and press the tensioners all the way down so that they are fully pressed in and take another allen key to lock them in the little hole on the bottom.

eighth step now put you tensioners back on with them locked and then put your timing chains on be sure to make sure that the marks on each chain line up with the dot on the cam shaft gear and the line on the bottom of the crank gear. once you have marks all aligned you want to make sure all of the chain slack is on the tensioner side so that when you release them it only take the loose slack out of the chains.

ninth step now that the marks are all aligned and you are sure of that and the slack is on the tensioner side you can pull the two allen keys out of the tensioners. make sure they fully lock so just push the guids up to make sure they are tight.

tenth step now that you have the timing all set and the marks are all good and tensioners are all tight you are going to slowly rotate the engine by the crank and check for any ptv (piton to vavle issues) if there is you messed up and redo the entire thing over. Ok now if you are good and everything turns over fine you should be good. Now remember the marks are never going to line back up again where they were so you are going to want to check it like this to make sure you are not off a tooth because you can be and now know it. the car will even run if it is off a tooth but you will be down on power. they way to check is like this rotate the engine over about 5 or 6 times and put in back at tdc. count from the timing marks on the crank and the cams. you are going to count the links. say the mark you made on the chain is 4 links from the mark on the crank. check the cams to make sure that links you painted are four links from each mark on the cam gears. if they are then you are all good and ready to button the motor back up.

I hope this help people. Mike.

Also the chain should look some thing like this
[]=======[] when it is layed out the two rectangle looking things are the two end links on the chain those are the ones you want to paint.

Now you can reverse the disassembley and reassemble the engine and happy wrenching people. :rockwoot:

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is some Great info, been looking for this for some time now! Looks like a good time to change out pullies at this time, and maybe add a timing adjuster also!! COOL

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
What do you do if the cams turn
Mine turned when I did my timing set. Turn the cam back to where you can time it like the write-up above. The gears only go on one way...as long as the engine is TDC on Cylinder 1 then you can line the timing chain marks up with the timing marks on the cam gears/crank gears.

Good luck.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Nice. Leaving a reply just so I can find this for future Reference. Great write up. 👍

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Wrong thread....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts