Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wavey hi there!

well i have this question, how can i drain the power Steering fluid of my 1991 lx?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hi Freaks89 :wavey Welcome!

To drain the fluid out of the power steering pump place a drain pan underneath it, remove the pressure and return hoses from the backside of the pump. Fluid will then drain into the pan.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

To drain the fluid out of the power steering pump place a drain pan underneath it, remove the pressure and return hoses from the backside of the pump. Fluid will then drain into the pan.

thanks Foxx!!

well, but what about the remaining fluid on the pinion rack?

does it need to be drained too?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts

You can't completely drain the system without turning on the engine and turning the wheels back and forth a few times... If you just want to drain the system then you have to be extremely careful that you don't drain the system completely because running the steering pump without oil is a sure death for it.

If you want to put new fluid in, then get a friend and take out the hoses like Foxx88 said and turn on the engine and get your friend to pour in new fluid as you turn the wheels. When the fluid becomes clear, all the old fluid has been drained.

I accidentally drained the fluid completely because I didn't have anybody to help me and now my steering pump is a lot louder...

Steve:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can't completely drain the system without turning on the engine and turning the wheels back and forth a few times... If you just want to drain the system then you have to be extremely careful that you don't drain the system completely because running the steering pump without oil is a sure death for it.

If you want to put new fluid in, then get a friend and take out the hoses like Foxx88 said and turn on the engine and get your friend to pour in new fluid as you turn the wheels. When the fluid becomes clear, all the old fluid has been drained.

I accidentally drained the fluid completely because I didn't have anybody to help me and now my steering pump is a lot louder...

Steve:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

:bigthumbsup thanks Steve!!!!

that was what i was just about to do :grinroll:

you saved my steering pump!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Ya, never try to tackle this alone. An always make sure its filled to a certain level. If you don't the pump will start screaming at you.

·
Registered
478 Posts
And Make Sure You Have The Correct Hose In A Bucket!

I did the car run method while filling up the reservoir while he turned the wheels. Talking to neighbor at same time. Needless to say someone (besides me) saw a bunch of fluid going down the driver way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.