Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the world of muscle car modifications and am wondering how I can boost the overall horsepower, quickness, suspension, etc. of a 2005-2009 mustang GT.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Start with a C & L CAI with a SCT programer and 93 octane race tune from Bama

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
You say dramatically increase so Im assuming you want over 100 horsepower. Save up and get a supercharger. There are a million threads to search that will explain the differences in superchargers and what you can expect from them.

Do yourself a big favor. Ask yourself how much power you want. When you get this power will this be enough for you? You need a gameplan that is well thought out so you dont end up wasting time and money.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
yep, two words: super charger

or is that one word?

all of the other mods are more like "subtle", not "drastic"

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
yep, supercharger or turbo is really the only practical way...suspension? peruse maximum motorsports

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Or the less expensive way Cold Air Intake ( CAI ) and a performance tune ( Brenspeed.com ) will give you some of what you desire :yup:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there a difference between a supercharger and turbocharger? How much do they run typically $5000?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Supercharger all the way.
See my post in "New owner-2005 mustang GT-throttle lag question" thread. I wish I waited and went this way from day one. having bought my 05 at the end of 04, there just wasn't any dependable supercharger kits available at that time (and I was too impatient to wait). You have the benefit of at least having the supercharger option available.

cheers.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Like the above posts said, the supercharger/turbo is the only way to go to drastically improve the HP/TQ.

However, you could do a few smaller things that will make it seem like a different car.

#1) Cold Air Intake/SCT Tuner. The tuner will make it a new driving experience, especially if you have an auto. Changes the shift firmness and points. Totally changes the gas pedal. And adds a small bit of performance. The CAI will get you (with the tuner) about 20-30rwhp 16-21rwtq. You will feel the difference, but the gain is not too intense.
There are many places to choose from. This fourm seems to favor Bama at American Muscle and Brenspeed. But there is also Lethal Performance, Late model restoration, etc. I went with Bama because I love AM!

2) Gears. I went with 4.10 gears and I couldn't be happier. This was my first mod actually and it made the biggest difference by far, of the three mods I have. This will add acceleration, and give you that slam into your seat that you're looking for. Will also help you to smoke your tires if you want:winks. I still get great MPG (for a V8) 26mpg on the highway last night.

3) UDP. Underdrive pullies are cheap and could get you around 5-10rwhp. I'm not a fan of them personally, but tons of people here have them with no problems. They cut the power to belt-driven accessories, resulting in the extra power.

4) Delete Plates are another cheap mod. Under $300. They allow better airflow which can result in about 5-10rwhp.

5) Cams. Cams will give you that nice lopey idle and also(depending on which kind you get) give you better performance. I wont guess on the numbers, but the ads are too high.

6) Headers. Long Tube Headers will give you a bit of Hp and TQ as well. More for lowend rpm. I've heard that the shorty headers dont really add any performance, but I'm not sure.

7) Nitrous. Running nitrous will add all the power you want, however, like a s/c, you will need to upgrade some things on the engine if you plan on running a big shot. This is by far the cheapest way to get the best performance possible. There are drawbacks. It's illegal on the streets, you have to fill it up all the time, arm it, purge, etc. But dollar for dollar nothing can touch it.

8) Supercharger/Turbos. Both will give you all the performance you'll need. Turbos make their power at higher rpms as do some superchargers. A P/D S/C will always make power, this is great for off the line performance (although some will say that all you have to do is launch at whatever RPM you make boost) but might not be a good idea if you plan on driving in snow.

As for the suspension, leave it alone for now. If you wanna lower it a bit for looks, maybe. The stock suspension isn't bad and is more than enough until you start making some bigger power, IMO.

Unless you're going to get a s/c, I would start with the gears, cai and tuner. This has made a nice difference for me and I'm satisfied with my power for now. I paid $1300 for everything, but more than half was for the gears plus installation $720!

That's about all that I can think of off hand. Hope it helps. Let us know how it works out.:bigthumbsup

-Chris

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Chris you answered pretty much all of my questions. I feel like I need to boost of the performance of the mustang I will soon be purchasing so I can keep up with the 5.0, SS, and imports. But Im going to need to save up if I want to supercharge it. But thanks again!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I am new to the world of muscle car modifications and am wondering how I can boost the overall horsepower, quickness, suspension, etc. of a 2005-2009 mustang GT.
Trade it on a GT500 and work on the new car's suspension just a bit. Quick and easy. Otherwise, your advisors in this thread have it right for you.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Forget about brand names for now. Research forced induction thoroughly first. Where do you want your car to be in 1 year, 3 years etc and build accordingly.

Or do like me. Start off with a procharger, then turbo, then larger turbo, then swap out transmissions and motors twice and fuel systems 3 (or was it 4) times, then gut the thing, make it street illegal...then sell it.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Or do like me. Start off with a procharger, then turbo, then larger turbo, then swap out transmissions and motors twice and fuel systems 3 (or was it 4) times, then gut the thing, make it street illegal...then sell it.
Sold it?? What's next for you now?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Sold it?? What's next for you now?
The speed shop were looking for a shop car. Mine had been kept at their facility since 2009 and they been sponsoring the build for some time. We had been discussing this deal for over a year.

I will still be following and reporting on its progress. No intentions of modding my viper. It's 100% stock and staying that way. Maybe I'll turbo the Escape that has 130,000 miles (wet weather daily)...lol.

·
Banned
612 Posts
Drastically? Pull the engine out and replace it with one that makes serious power. ;) 450hp is fun but still slow. :laugh:. 700-1,000hp is a good place to start, if you have the caaaaash!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
The post from Oak Lawn Chris hit it dead on. It really all depends on what your opinion of drastic performance boost is. You've got 265hp at the ground stock. Do you want 350? Do you want 495?

If 350 is your think, do every naturally aspirated bolt-on from cams and intake manifold to long tube headers and cold air intake/tuner combo. Our Bama team has plenty of guys running these and sending us dyno graphs back at 340RWHP, 350RWHP, etc. They drive the car every day to work, it's comfortable, reliable and sounds MEAN with the cams and long tubes. Even their gas mileage is up in the mid-20's range highway. These cars feel like rocket ships, honestly.

If 495 is what you're after, definitely a supercharger. We have Edelbrock E-Force superchargers where I've sent email tunes to them and they're pushing 450-500 at the ground, maxing out the stock block. If 350 feels like a rocketship, and runs a mid-high 12 all day long, you can imagine what 450-500 feels like. It's actually alot of unusable power when you're not at the track.

Either way, there's a huge array of aftermarket parts available for you. I think you should define a clear-cut goal of what number you're after and then we can all help you get there!

YouTube - ‪AmericanMuscle Latest Warehouse Expansion Time Lapse‬‏

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Drastically? Pull the engine out and replace it with one that makes serious power. ;) 450hp is fun but still slow. :laugh:. 700-1,000hp is a good place to start, if you have the caaaaash!
You seem to be fascinated with major hp and expensive cars, then why is it don't that you own some.Then you can quit babbling on about the less horse powered & cheap Mustangs here and go on some other forum and complain.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I was gonna say throw every bolton onto the car but that would be way more expensive than just adding a supercharger. You could add a supercharger yourself its not hard. Adding heads, cams, longtubes is much more complicated and if you pay to have it installed its gonna be expensive.
I have seen some incredible deals on blowers lately. Vortech, if you let them borrow your car for a couple months will throw in their new updated 07-10 kit for $3000. You wont see your car for a few months but it will come back with a dyno tune(Im assuming since they are a professional company). Magnacharger intercooled kits can be had for around $4000. Brenspeed has Vortech and Paxton nonintercooled kits for $3900.
If this is outta your budget for now get a CAI intake and tuner. It will add almost 30rwhp, throttle snappiness and firm shifts it its an auto. Then save up and get your blower. Decide what type of blower you want. A positive displacment or a centrifugal. The Pos Dis blowers are great for the street as they make full boost right above idle and feel like a big block. A centri will make full boost up high in the rpms. The centri will make it easier to hook up but wont have that low rpm squirt but will have a high rpm surge. As long as you keep it around 450rwhp your stock engine should be fine. BUT you must realize that your stock engine can pop. And you should have moneyt set aside for at minimum a stock replacement engine or rebuild. If you want to make over 500rwhp you will need a forged shortblock. They can be had from alot ofplaces. If you want to make the most power get a forged shortblock and get one of the bigger blowers or one of the new TVS blowers. The bigger blowers will make more boost and less heat.
I say it again come up with a solid plan. Take your time and ask questions. And have an idea of where you want your Mustang in a few years. This way you wont be buying duplicate parts and you can save time and money. Another good idea see what combos people are running and what power they put out then copy it that way you dont have to reinvent anything.

And dont forget to factor in supporting mods. Fuel system, suspension and driveline parts will start to fail when you up the power. Stock clutches dont like blowers. Mine failed after 5 runs at the track. My driveshaft also started making noise after a few track runs.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts