Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Wondering what product(s) you might use to eliminate the dirty black soot/carbon emissions like I have fouling the insides of my Flowmasters. I use an 87 octane and occasionally run a bottle of fuel system/injector cleaner. But the black sooty deposits continue.

Would like to use something truly beneficial on a regular basis that is endorsed by the Mustang owner.

Any advice is welcome and appreciated!

Joe

·
Registered
377 Posts
The same question came up a short while back. I've used wd40 and it work. I guess we have to leave with these sooty exhaust.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I've got about 20,000 miles since I put the GTA's on and I still see clean metal when looking into the rear opening. I have a Tillman's tune, too.

Frank

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I have no tune on it, I would be interested in doing so but I am not real up-to-speed on what these various tunes do (I am serious). I could probably stop by the local performance shop (Mustang) and see what that's all about. I know the members here rave about tunes but I am definitely a newbie there. Thanks for your answers, please continue!

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
I've got about 20,000 miles since I put the GTA's on and I still see clean metal when looking into the rear opening. I have a Tillman's tune, too.

Frank
I agree, mine stay fairly clean with the Tillman's tune.

Eloyfan
If you want some good info give Chris a call at Tillmans one of the site sponsors

·
Registered
19 Posts
A tune would help to get the fuel mix right, also try to run 93 octane once in a while, it will help to burn off a lot of the excess soot.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hey All,

Wondering what product(s) you might use to eliminate the dirty black soot/carbon emissions like I have fouling the insides of my Flowmasters. I use an 87 octane and occasionally run a bottle of fuel system/injector cleaner. But the black sooty deposits continue.

Would like to use something truly beneficial on a regular basis that is endorsed by the Mustang owner.

Any advice is welcome and appreciated!

Joe
Its been our experience with the late model 4.6L 3V mustangs that Ford has them programmed to run rich, in the 11.8 range. (completely stock - no mods - at WOT)

Getting a tune will get rid of the soot that your seeing in your tail pipes, car will respond more quickly and MPG will increase. Tunes are generally available in 87, 91 and 93 octane.

Contact a forum supporting vendor for details and pricing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its been our experience with the late model 4.6L 3V mustangs that Ford has them programmed to run rich, in the 11.8 range. (completely stock - no mods - at WOT)

Getting a tune will get rid of the soot that your seeing in your tail pipes, car will respond more quickly and MPG will increase. Tunes are generally available in 87, 91 and 93 octane.

Contact a forum supporting vendor for details and pricing.

A big thanks to all of you responding. I am going to look into that. I do have hesitation on throttling and the soot, so I will "get a tune". I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Agree with the others on getting a tune to help reduce the carbon.
Also, don't allow the engine to idle longer than 10-15 sec.(slightly longer in real cold weather) after a cold start up. Driving the car conservatively ASAP after starting the engine will place a load on it, which will warm it up much quicker than if it's idling, and thus reduce the rich A/F ratio back to its normal 14.7 stoichiometric A/F ratio much quicker.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Purpose of enriching the mix

Its been our experience with the late model 4.6L 3V mustangs that Ford has them programmed to run rich, in the 11.8 range. (completely stock - no mods - at WOT).

Could it be that the reason for running rich during WOT is to use fuel as coolant for the heads? Reason it occured to me is that in Piston Aircraft, the pilot has manual control of the A/F mix. During phases of flight when the engine is producing over 75% of its rated power, as in take off and climb the operation hand book specifies running the A/F mix rich of peak power as monitored using the exhaust gas tempreature.

Perhaps Ford has tuned for longivity vs Max power or best economy.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Could it be that the reason for running rich during WOT is to use fuel as coolant for the heads? Reason it occured to me is that in Piston Aircraft, the pilot has manual control of the A/F mix. During phases of flight when the engine is producing over 75% of its rated power, as in take off and climb the operation hand book specifies running the A/F mix rich of peak power as monitored using the exhaust gas tempreature.

Perhaps Ford has tuned for longivity vs Max power or best economy.
Probably. It also cools the spark plugs and piston crowns. This is especially important during periods of continuous WOT operation, when things can get really hot inside the combustion chambers due to the high specific output, high rpm, and relatively high compression ratio of the 3V 4.6L engine. And when 87 octane's higher tendency to ping is added to the mix, the WOT A/F had better be pig rich.

·
Registered
327 Posts
You have to remember that the first rule of emission compliance for the manufacturers is, GOD SAVE THE CAT. If you are driving the car hard at all, that is why we bought them--right. At WOT you run the risk of driving internal Catalyst temps to the danger zone. By Richening the mixture you cool the cat and extend it's life. Since WOT doesn't aid in fuel economy, the best way to clean up the exhaust tips is to pick up your right foot. As I am not willing to do so, I bought a small Mothers power ball and some polish. It cleans them right up until the next time. Cleaning my GT/CS is my second favorite activity with it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.